Feb 28, 2011, 5:04 PM EST
Finally. A foot video that has nothing to do with Rex Ryan.
Duke released a video detailing the status of injured freshman Kyrie Irving, who hasn’t played since injuring the tendons in his right big toe on Dec. 4 vs. Butler. It doesn’t say when or if the star guard will return in time for the NCAA tournament, but does paint a promising picture.
In it, he and Duke physical therapist Nick Potter show what Irving’s doing for rehab and how it’s affecting his toe.
“The overall progress is that he’s doing fairly well,” Potter says. “We knew from the beginning it’s a long, gradual process. He’s actually right where we expected him to be, if not maybe a step ahead.”
A return would give Duke a huge boost heading into March. The Devils have been good without Irving – nice work by Nolan Smith there – but his presence would certainly make them the title favorites.
Devils coach Mike Krzyzewski has said for months that he doubts Irving will play again this season. That’s the smart move for Irving’s NBA prospects, given that a rushed return could cause lingering foot problems.
Iriving doesn’t sound worried.
“There is light at the end of the tunnel,” Irving says. “Whether I come back this year or somewhere in the future, I’m going to be playing again.”
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 0
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 0
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)