Mar 2, 2011, 11:33 PM EST
Given the number of no-nos in BYU’s Honor Code, Brandon Davies’ dismissal could’ve been about pretty much anything.
Among the requirements: Students must live a chaste and virtuous life, be honest, abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee and substance abuse, and attend church regularly.
So maybe it shouldn’t come as a surprise that it was something many college students try: Sex.
According to a report in the Salt Lake Tribune, the 6-9 sophomore admitted he had sexual relations with his girlfriend, a violation of the rules. The school wouldn’t confirm the report, but did note that Davies was “extremely remorseful, heartbroken.”
Davies, the team’s third-leading scorer and leading rebounder, won’t be back with the team, but a board is deciding if he’ll be allowed to stay in school.
UPDATE: After BYU’s 82-64 loss Wednesday to New Mexico, coach Dave Rose talked about Davies’ violation and his future.
“Everybody who comes to BYU, every student if they’re an athlete or not an athlete, they make a commitment when they come,” Rose said. “A lot of people try to judge if this is right or wrong, but it’s a commitment they make. It’s not about right or wrong. It’s about commitment.”
Rose also didn’t rule out the chance of Davies playing for BYU in the future.
“I think Brandon’s heart is in the right place, and I think that he wants to continue his education here at BYU, but there are a lot of things that are yet to be determined,” he said.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)