Mar 2, 2011, 11:33 PM EST
Given the number of no-nos in BYU’s Honor Code, Brandon Davies’ dismissal could’ve been about pretty much anything.
Among the requirements: Students must live a chaste and virtuous life, be honest, abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee and substance abuse, and attend church regularly.
So maybe it shouldn’t come as a surprise that it was something many college students try: Sex.
According to a report in the Salt Lake Tribune, the 6-9 sophomore admitted he had sexual relations with his girlfriend, a violation of the rules. The school wouldn’t confirm the report, but did note that Davies was “extremely remorseful, heartbroken.”
Davies, the team’s third-leading scorer and leading rebounder, won’t be back with the team, but a board is deciding if he’ll be allowed to stay in school.
UPDATE: After BYU’s 82-64 loss Wednesday to New Mexico, coach Dave Rose talked about Davies’ violation and his future.
“Everybody who comes to BYU, every student if they’re an athlete or not an athlete, they make a commitment when they come,” Rose said. “A lot of people try to judge if this is right or wrong, but it’s a commitment they make. It’s not about right or wrong. It’s about commitment.”
Rose also didn’t rule out the chance of Davies playing for BYU in the future.
“I think Brandon’s heart is in the right place, and I think that he wants to continue his education here at BYU, but there are a lot of things that are yet to be determined,” he said.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 11 Wichita State, No. 19 Baylor among winners in games matching ranked teams 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)