Mar 2, 2011, 11:33 PM EDT
Given the number of no-nos in BYU’s Honor Code, Brandon Davies’ dismissal could’ve been about pretty much anything.
Among the requirements: Students must live a chaste and virtuous life, be honest, abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee and substance abuse, and attend church regularly.
So maybe it shouldn’t come as a surprise that it was something many college students try: Sex.
According to a report in the Salt Lake Tribune, the 6-9 sophomore admitted he had sexual relations with his girlfriend, a violation of the rules. The school wouldn’t confirm the report, but did note that Davies was “extremely remorseful, heartbroken.”
Davies, the team’s third-leading scorer and leading rebounder, won’t be back with the team, but a board is deciding if he’ll be allowed to stay in school.
UPDATE: After BYU’s 82-64 loss Wednesday to New Mexico, coach Dave Rose talked about Davies’ violation and his future.
“Everybody who comes to BYU, every student if they’re an athlete or not an athlete, they make a commitment when they come,” Rose said. “A lot of people try to judge if this is right or wrong, but it’s a commitment they make. It’s not about right or wrong. It’s about commitment.”
Rose also didn’t rule out the chance of Davies playing for BYU in the future.
“I think Brandon’s heart is in the right place, and I think that he wants to continue his education here at BYU, but there are a lot of things that are yet to be determined,” he said.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)