Mar 2, 2011, 11:33 PM EDT
Given the number of no-nos in BYU’s Honor Code, Brandon Davies’ dismissal could’ve been about pretty much anything.
Among the requirements: Students must live a chaste and virtuous life, be honest, abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee and substance abuse, and attend church regularly.
So maybe it shouldn’t come as a surprise that it was something many college students try: Sex.
According to a report in the Salt Lake Tribune, the 6-9 sophomore admitted he had sexual relations with his girlfriend, a violation of the rules. The school wouldn’t confirm the report, but did note that Davies was “extremely remorseful, heartbroken.”
Davies, the team’s third-leading scorer and leading rebounder, won’t be back with the team, but a board is deciding if he’ll be allowed to stay in school.
UPDATE: After BYU’s 82-64 loss Wednesday to New Mexico, coach Dave Rose talked about Davies’ violation and his future.
“Everybody who comes to BYU, every student if they’re an athlete or not an athlete, they make a commitment when they come,” Rose said. “A lot of people try to judge if this is right or wrong, but it’s a commitment they make. It’s not about right or wrong. It’s about commitment.”
Rose also didn’t rule out the chance of Davies playing for BYU in the future.
“I think Brandon’s heart is in the right place, and I think that he wants to continue his education here at BYU, but there are a lot of things that are yet to be determined,” he said.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 0
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 2
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 23
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (86)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)