Mar 6, 2011, 3:40 PM EDT
Virginia Commonwealth just made every college basketball team on the NCAA tournament bubble sweat a bit. By Monday night, the Rams might even ruin someone else’s tourney chances.
That’s life on the bubble.
The Ram s (23-10) upended George Mason 79-63 in the CAA semifinals on Sunday, ensuring the league’s top seed won’t grab the automatic NCAA tournament bid.
The Patriots (26-6) had won 16 straight entering the game. They’re still a good bet for an at-large bid, though their seeding is going to take a hit. Instead of a 7 or 8, they’ll probably be a 10 or 11. (They were an 11 when they made the Final Four in 2006.)
Random aside: The teams that should be happiest about George Mason’s loss? Any potential 1 seeds. Avoiding George Mason in the second round is a gift.
More worrisome for any bubble team is if Hofstra beats ODU in the other semifinal. That would give the CAA an oustide shot at three bids because ODU and George Mason are the league’s two strongest candidates for at-large bids. Much would depend on how the other conference championship games played out, but don’t rule out the CAA getting three.
UPDATE: It’ll be ODU vs. VCU for the title.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)