Mar 18, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Bruce Pearl reaaallllllly needs a win vs. Michigan on Friday. Beating No. 1 seed Duke on Sunday also wouldn’t hurt.
Still, even those two victories might not be enough to save the Tennessee coach’s job.
Pearl and his volunteers tried to prepare for the No. 8 seed, but instead dealt with numerous questions about their coach because of a recent radio interview in which Vols athletic director Mike Hamilton declared “the jury is still out” on Pearl’s job status.
Pearl did his best to deflect the questions, but couldn’t quite pull it off. After all, it’s been a season’s worth of distractions. By now, the Vols are old pros at handling stories like this.
“If we had gone undefeated this season, we would not have learned or grown half as much as a lot of the things that we’ve had to go through this year,” Pearl said he told the players. “But let’s learn from some things. Let’s learn from my mistakes. Let’s remember not to put yourself in this position again, like I did.”
Will that translate into on-court success vs. the Wolverines? For the off-court questions. Scotty Hopson’s jumper will be a bigger factor.
Tip-off is 12:40 p.m. ET in Charlotte, N.C..
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 0
- George Washington joins ‘cool court club’, redesigns home floor 0
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 0
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 11
- Live Extra: Watch Blackhawks-Red Wings Game 3
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Dickey goes 8, beats Rays for 2nd straight win
- PST: Mourinho officially leaving Real Madrid
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball