Mar 20, 2011, 6:31 PM EST
Unless Kyle Singler finds his groove from last year’s NCAA tournament, Duke isn’t winning it all. It might not even make Elite Eight.
The Devils survived Michigan’s monster rally on Sunday for a 73-71 win and reached its 12th Sweet 16 in the last 14 years. Yet Singler, the senior forward who was the Most Outstanding Player at last year’s Final Four, turned in another sub-par game. He finished with 13 points, but missed seven of 12 shots and never got comfortable against the Wolverines’ 1-3-1 zone.
It’s been more than a month of inconsistent offensive performances from Singler, who’s gone from forgettable nights (8 points on 3-of-14-shootin vs. UNC) to can’t miss-outings (29 points on 10-of-15 shooting vs. Maryland) to games where’s just another contributor (pretty much the last three games).
Sunday was just Singler’s fourth game with an offensive rating above 100 (the D-I average) in the last month and his sixth since Feb. 2. From StatSheet:
Note that orange line along the bottom. Singler hasn’t made more than one 3-pointer in a game since Feb. 13 and didn’t make any in six of those 12 games since. Unless he’s a threat from outside, defenders can slack off and collapse the middle, making it tougher for Duke to have dribble-penetration.
Duke’s loaded with guys who can score, but Singler’s perhaps the most important among their scorers (Nolan Smith, Seth Curry, Kyrie Irving) because he’s their lone frontcourt scoring threat. He has to stretch the defense.
Not that Singler’s irrelevant without hitting from outside.
He’s still an effective rebounder and is essential to Duke’s defense. When he left the Michigan game midway through the second half because of his fourth foul, it was hardly a coincidence that the Wolverines staged their run.
That’s one of the reasons why he plays so many minutes (35.6 since Feb. 2, including four games where played the full 40), but could also be the main culprit behind the shooting woes. Tired legs can sap even the best shooters this time of year.
But he’ll need find that range. And soon.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)