Mar 28, 2011, 4:22 AM EST
Kentucky fans waited 13 years for a return to the Final Four. That thousands of them flocked to the Lexington, Ky., airport to greet is exactly what I’d expect.
In fact, I’m a little surprised it was only 2,500 people. Then again, they were waiting for about three hours. They were one happy bunch, too.
“There really weren’t any problems whatsoever. On the street, we had a few minor problems, but nothing out of the ordinary, not for this size of crowd,” Lexington Police Lt. Rodney Sherrod told the AP.
Not to be outdone, Virginia Commonwealth fans turned out en masse to greet the Rams, who earned the first Final Four berth in the school’s history.
Their numbers? Roughly 5,000 fans, all of whom gathered after 1 a.m. ET at VCU’s home arena, the Siegel Center.
Those numbers swelled from the earlier celebration in Richmond, Va., moments after VCU stunned Kansa in the Southwest Regional final. Estimates placed about 1,400 students in the streets celebrating the win afterward.
Only question now? How many of those fans make the trip to Houston?
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 2
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 1
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 1
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)