Mar 28, 2011, 4:22 AM EST
Kentucky fans waited 13 years for a return to the Final Four. That thousands of them flocked to the Lexington, Ky., airport to greet is exactly what I’d expect.
In fact, I’m a little surprised it was only 2,500 people. Then again, they were waiting for about three hours. They were one happy bunch, too.
“There really weren’t any problems whatsoever. On the street, we had a few minor problems, but nothing out of the ordinary, not for this size of crowd,” Lexington Police Lt. Rodney Sherrod told the AP.
Not to be outdone, Virginia Commonwealth fans turned out en masse to greet the Rams, who earned the first Final Four berth in the school’s history.
Their numbers? Roughly 5,000 fans, all of whom gathered after 1 a.m. ET at VCU’s home arena, the Siegel Center.
Those numbers swelled from the earlier celebration in Richmond, Va., moments after VCU stunned Kansa in the Southwest Regional final. Estimates placed about 1,400 students in the streets celebrating the win afterward.
Only question now? How many of those fans make the trip to Houston?
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)