Mar 28, 2011, 4:22 AM EDT
Kentucky fans waited 13 years for a return to the Final Four. That thousands of them flocked to the Lexington, Ky., airport to greet is exactly what I’d expect.
In fact, I’m a little surprised it was only 2,500 people. Then again, they were waiting for about three hours. They were one happy bunch, too.
“There really weren’t any problems whatsoever. On the street, we had a few minor problems, but nothing out of the ordinary, not for this size of crowd,” Lexington Police Lt. Rodney Sherrod told the AP.
Not to be outdone, Virginia Commonwealth fans turned out en masse to greet the Rams, who earned the first Final Four berth in the school’s history.
Their numbers? Roughly 5,000 fans, all of whom gathered after 1 a.m. ET at VCU’s home arena, the Siegel Center.
Those numbers swelled from the earlier celebration in Richmond, Va., moments after VCU stunned Kansa in the Southwest Regional final. Estimates placed about 1,400 students in the streets celebrating the win afterward.
Only question now? How many of those fans make the trip to Houston?
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Green Bay’s Keifer Sykes maintains the chip on his shoulder 0
- Skal Labissiere, Reach Your Dreams Prep and why this isn’t as scuzzy as it sounds 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 9 Gonzaga Bulldogs 2
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)