Mar 28, 2011, 4:22 AM EST
Kentucky fans waited 13 years for a return to the Final Four. That thousands of them flocked to the Lexington, Ky., airport to greet is exactly what I’d expect.
In fact, I’m a little surprised it was only 2,500 people. Then again, they were waiting for about three hours. They were one happy bunch, too.
“There really weren’t any problems whatsoever. On the street, we had a few minor problems, but nothing out of the ordinary, not for this size of crowd,” Lexington Police Lt. Rodney Sherrod told the AP.
Not to be outdone, Virginia Commonwealth fans turned out en masse to greet the Rams, who earned the first Final Four berth in the school’s history.
Their numbers? Roughly 5,000 fans, all of whom gathered after 1 a.m. ET at VCU’s home arena, the Siegel Center.
Those numbers swelled from the earlier celebration in Richmond, Va., moments after VCU stunned Kansa in the Southwest Regional final. Estimates placed about 1,400 students in the streets celebrating the win afterward.
Only question now? How many of those fans make the trip to Houston?
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)