Mar 28, 2011, 4:22 AM EDT
Kentucky fans waited 13 years for a return to the Final Four. That thousands of them flocked to the Lexington, Ky., airport to greet is exactly what I’d expect.
In fact, I’m a little surprised it was only 2,500 people. Then again, they were waiting for about three hours. They were one happy bunch, too.
“There really weren’t any problems whatsoever. On the street, we had a few minor problems, but nothing out of the ordinary, not for this size of crowd,” Lexington Police Lt. Rodney Sherrod told the AP.
Not to be outdone, Virginia Commonwealth fans turned out en masse to greet the Rams, who earned the first Final Four berth in the school’s history.
Their numbers? Roughly 5,000 fans, all of whom gathered after 1 a.m. ET at VCU’s home arena, the Siegel Center.
Those numbers swelled from the earlier celebration in Richmond, Va., moments after VCU stunned Kansa in the Southwest Regional final. Estimates placed about 1,400 students in the streets celebrating the win afterward.
Only question now? How many of those fans make the trip to Houston?
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)