Mar 30, 2011, 4:34 PM EDT
Terms of the deal were not disclosed. Painter made a base salary of $1.3 million this season that rose to $1.9 million with incentives.
In six years under Painter, the Boilermakers are 130-61, including four straight seasons of least 25 wins or more. They are one of eight programs to do that. Purdue’s made the NCAA tournament the last five seasons and reached the Sweet 16 twice in that span. They’ve also finished first or second in the Big Ten the last four seasons.
“We are thrilled to announce that Matt will continue his leadership of our men’s basketball program at his alma mater,” athletics director Morgan Burke said. “He has been at the helm of the winningest four-year period in the storied history of Boilermaker basketball, and we pledge to work with him to win championships.”
Said Painter: “I am extremely excited about continuing my career at Purdue. I believe we have built something very special. At the same time, I feel we have much more ahead of us to accomplish.
“There’s a lot to be excited about right now with Purdue basketball. We are moving into our new offices and locker room complex over the next couple of weeks. Our program is built on hard work, and we are ready to get back to improving as a team and a staff.”
“At the end of the day, my heart is at Purdue, and this is a place where I want to win a national championship.”
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Despite allegations Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 0
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 3
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights