Apr 1, 2011, 6:30 PM EDT
Think Butler’s a group of lovable underdogs? The players can’t hold a candle to the school’s mascot, Blue II.
His life and times used to be material for a blog. Now he’s so much bigger than that.
The 7-year-old English Bulldog will be courtside for Saturday’s Butler-VCU Final Four game, which caps 48 hours worth of royal treatment.
He got spa treatment in Indianapolis on Thursday, including a hair washing and nail treatment. He lay on the floor in the main cabin on a special chartered Southwest flight to Houston for Butler fans. And he’s the guest of honor at Houston’s Intercontinental Hotel, with his own plush bed, a chewable bone, doggy bowls of food and water with his name on them, and even a special cocktail named after him at the hotel bar.
The drink, a Blue II Martini, has vodka, blue curacao, lemon, blueberries and is mulled by hand. So much for the usual doggie bowl of water.
If you need more timely updates on Blue II’s times in Houston, follow him on Twitter.
Not that everyone’s happy about all the attention. Guess Kenny Mayne’s not a dog person.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 0
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games