Apr 4, 2011, 1:14 AM EDT
When conducting a coaching search, always, always have a backup plan. Or three. Missouri missed on Matt Painter last week, it but must’ve ditched its backup plans. All of ‘em.
That sound you hear? It’s a collective sigh from Tigers fans. If there was a coach out there who would’ve inspired less confidence as Mike Anderson’s replacement, he’s hard to pinpoint. (OK, Quin Snyder would’ve been one.)
It’s not that Haith’s a bad coach. But he’s far from a good one.
He’s done a decent job in seven seasons at Miami, one of college basketball’s true wastelands for coaches. He’s 129-101 overall, and 43-69 in ACC play. Yes, they were a few lucky bounces away from going .500 in ACC play this year, but their 6-10 record was reflective of how well the ‘Canes played.
Hardly inspiring numbers, but for a program with no crowd support and next-to-no history, that’s about what you’d expect from a guy who’s known as a good guy and solid recruiter.
Problem is, he’s a significant step down from what Missouri wanted (Painter) and what it had (Anderson).
Keeping pace with Kansas and Texas in the Big 12 just got harder for Missouri.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 0
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 3
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- Syracuse makes it official that Mike Hopkins will take over in 2018 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)