Apr 4, 2011, 1:14 AM EDT
When conducting a coaching search, always, always have a backup plan. Or three. Missouri missed on Matt Painter last week, it but must’ve ditched its backup plans. All of ‘em.
That sound you hear? It’s a collective sigh from Tigers fans. If there was a coach out there who would’ve inspired less confidence as Mike Anderson’s replacement, he’s hard to pinpoint. (OK, Quin Snyder would’ve been one.)
It’s not that Haith’s a bad coach. But he’s far from a good one.
He’s done a decent job in seven seasons at Miami, one of college basketball’s true wastelands for coaches. He’s 129-101 overall, and 43-69 in ACC play. Yes, they were a few lucky bounces away from going .500 in ACC play this year, but their 6-10 record was reflective of how well the ‘Canes played.
Hardly inspiring numbers, but for a program with no crowd support and next-to-no history, that’s about what you’d expect from a guy who’s known as a good guy and solid recruiter.
Problem is, he’s a significant step down from what Missouri wanted (Painter) and what it had (Anderson).
Keeping pace with Kansas and Texas in the Big 12 just got harder for Missouri.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 1
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 1
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)