Apr 4, 2011, 1:14 AM EDT
When conducting a coaching search, always, always have a backup plan. Or three. Missouri missed on Matt Painter last week, it but must’ve ditched its backup plans. All of ‘em.
That sound you hear? It’s a collective sigh from Tigers fans. If there was a coach out there who would’ve inspired less confidence as Mike Anderson’s replacement, he’s hard to pinpoint. (OK, Quin Snyder would’ve been one.)
It’s not that Haith’s a bad coach. But he’s far from a good one.
He’s done a decent job in seven seasons at Miami, one of college basketball’s true wastelands for coaches. He’s 129-101 overall, and 43-69 in ACC play. Yes, they were a few lucky bounces away from going .500 in ACC play this year, but their 6-10 record was reflective of how well the ‘Canes played.
Hardly inspiring numbers, but for a program with no crowd support and next-to-no history, that’s about what you’d expect from a guy who’s known as a good guy and solid recruiter.
Problem is, he’s a significant step down from what Missouri wanted (Painter) and what it had (Anderson).
Keeping pace with Kansas and Texas in the Big 12 just got harder for Missouri.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)