Apr 4, 2011, 1:14 AM EDT
When conducting a coaching search, always, always have a backup plan. Or three. Missouri missed on Matt Painter last week, it but must’ve ditched its backup plans. All of ‘em.
That sound you hear? It’s a collective sigh from Tigers fans. If there was a coach out there who would’ve inspired less confidence as Mike Anderson’s replacement, he’s hard to pinpoint. (OK, Quin Snyder would’ve been one.)
It’s not that Haith’s a bad coach. But he’s far from a good one.
He’s done a decent job in seven seasons at Miami, one of college basketball’s true wastelands for coaches. He’s 129-101 overall, and 43-69 in ACC play. Yes, they were a few lucky bounces away from going .500 in ACC play this year, but their 6-10 record was reflective of how well the ‘Canes played.
Hardly inspiring numbers, but for a program with no crowd support and next-to-no history, that’s about what you’d expect from a guy who’s known as a good guy and solid recruiter.
Problem is, he’s a significant step down from what Missouri wanted (Painter) and what it had (Anderson).
Keeping pace with Kansas and Texas in the Big 12 just got harder for Missouri.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)