Apr 4, 2011, 1:14 AM EDT
When conducting a coaching search, always, always have a backup plan. Or three. Missouri missed on Matt Painter last week, it but must’ve ditched its backup plans. All of ‘em.
That sound you hear? It’s a collective sigh from Tigers fans. If there was a coach out there who would’ve inspired less confidence as Mike Anderson’s replacement, he’s hard to pinpoint. (OK, Quin Snyder would’ve been one.)
It’s not that Haith’s a bad coach. But he’s far from a good one.
He’s done a decent job in seven seasons at Miami, one of college basketball’s true wastelands for coaches. He’s 129-101 overall, and 43-69 in ACC play. Yes, they were a few lucky bounces away from going .500 in ACC play this year, but their 6-10 record was reflective of how well the ‘Canes played.
Hardly inspiring numbers, but for a program with no crowd support and next-to-no history, that’s about what you’d expect from a guy who’s known as a good guy and solid recruiter.
Problem is, he’s a significant step down from what Missouri wanted (Painter) and what it had (Anderson).
Keeping pace with Kansas and Texas in the Big 12 just got harder for Missouri.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 4
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (5)