Apr 4, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: It’s official. Smart signed an eight-year extension with the school.
Shaka Smart settled on his program for next season. His.
The VCU coach will stay with the Rams, according to a report from CBSSports.com’s Gregg Doyel. A formal contract offer was extended, but no details were offered.
Smart, 33, was seen as this year’s hottest coaching commodity after taking VCU to an incredibly improbable Final Four berth in the NCAA tournament. In two years, he’s 55-21 with the Rams. The Final Four appearance was the school’s first.
It’s a small surprise given that N.C. State was ready to offer Smart heaps of money to coach the Wolfpack, but Smart mirrored the decision of another coach who recently took a mid-major school to the Final Four – Brad Stevens. After the Bulldogs’ run to the title game last season, Stevens signed a 12-year extension with Butler.
Of course, if Smart experiences more success with VCU next year, expect all of the coaching rumors to start again. They have for Stevens.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)