Apr 4, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: It’s official. Smart signed an eight-year extension with the school.
Shaka Smart settled on his program for next season. His.
The VCU coach will stay with the Rams, according to a report from CBSSports.com’s Gregg Doyel. A formal contract offer was extended, but no details were offered.
Smart, 33, was seen as this year’s hottest coaching commodity after taking VCU to an incredibly improbable Final Four berth in the NCAA tournament. In two years, he’s 55-21 with the Rams. The Final Four appearance was the school’s first.
It’s a small surprise given that N.C. State was ready to offer Smart heaps of money to coach the Wolfpack, but Smart mirrored the decision of another coach who recently took a mid-major school to the Final Four – Brad Stevens. After the Bulldogs’ run to the title game last season, Stevens signed a 12-year extension with Butler.
Of course, if Smart experiences more success with VCU next year, expect all of the coaching rumors to start again. They have for Stevens.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)