Apr 13, 2011, 7:39 PM EST
When John Calipari isn’t sure, you know it’s a screwy NBA draft.
The Kentucky coach wants stars and likely lottery picks Brandon Knight and Terrence Jones to throw their names into the draft pool – but staying in is another story. And this is a coach who’s never shied away from telling kids they should pro.
“It has been easy for me to recommend in the past. This one here has been delicate,” Calipari told the Sporting News. “I just want this to be clearer, so I can give them the information. The worst thing for everyone is the kid feels, ‘I’m going to go top 10,’ and he goes 20. And there’s a big difference.”
Knight, a 6-3 guard, and Jones, a 6-9 forward, are both among the top prospects in this year’s draft. They’re also ranked among the top 14 prospects, which means they’re both good bets to make big money.
But two things are making it difficult.
The first is the impending lockout. Players don’t know what to make of the 2011-12 NBA season. When will it start? When can rookies sign? What if it drags on and on? That uncertainty is killer and one of the major reasons why guys like Baylor’s Perry Jones, Ohio State’s Jared Sullinger and North Carolina’s John Henson are staying in school.
The other? An early withdrawal date of May 8. That’s before most teams will hold workouts and before the NBA draft lottery. As Mike DeCourcy writes, that’s a date that makes it tough for most players to accurately assess their draft stock. (And if it were moved up? Insanity.)
And if they do return to Kentucky and play with those four 5-star recruits heading to Lexington next season? The 2012 NBA draft could feature a lot of blue.
“We may be one of the first teams to get six first-round draft picks,” Calipari told the Louisville Courier-Journal. “No, we’d be the first. Could happen.”
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
Nov 26, 2014, 3:51 PM EST
The importance of this win for Butler cannot be overstated.
Nov 26, 2014, 3:19 PM EST
JayVaughn Pinkston is the leader and go-to guy for Villanova. And he is not their star because … why?
Nov 26, 2014, 12:02 PM EST
Gordon is averaging 10.5 points this season.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:20 AM EST
Not a bad way to kick off the Thanksgiving weekend
Nov 26, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
He was arrested on suspicion of sexual assault.
Nov 26, 2014, 7:00 AM EST
Angry John Beilein is the best John Beilein.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:28 AM EST
Pinkston made a couple of huge plays down the stretch.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:10 AM EST
Another busy night of college hoops as the Maui semifinals wrap up and Arkansas gets a statement road win.
Nov 25, 2014, 11:50 PM EST
Maryland pulled off one of the biggest upsets of the young season as they outplayed No. 13 Iowa State for much of the game in front of a pro-Cyclone crowd in Kansas City.
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run
Nov 25, 2014, 10:18 PM EST
As Arizona has struggled to find consistent offense early in the 2014-15 season, the consistency and selfless nature of sophomore forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson has allowed Sean Miller to experiment with what works early.
Nov 25, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
Kansas head coach Bill Self is trying to get through to his players by changing starting lineups.
Nov 25, 2014, 6:45 PM EST
The former national champion still has the touch.
Nov 25, 2014, 5:55 PM EST
The Barclays Center Classic doubleheader will air on Friday night on NBC Sports Network.
Nov 25, 2014, 5:20 PM EST
The Friars could be depleted on the perimeter against two tough opponents.
Nov 25, 2014, 4:24 PM EST
Minnesota will take a hit to its back court with this suspension.
Nov 25, 2014, 2:58 PM EST
I hope his joke doesn’t make people ignore the fact the he really felt bad about this.
Nov 25, 2014, 2:43 PM EST
We get some good gauge games on Tuesday night.
Nov 25, 2014, 1:18 PM EST
Frank Kaminsky and Jahlil Okafor are near the top, but the rest of the top five may surprise you.
Nov 25, 2014, 12:27 PM EST
Benjamin hurt his ankle against Michigan.
Nov 25, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
Jason McManamen is trying to prove Billy Hoyle and Sidney Dean wrong.
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 0
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (10)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (8)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)