Apr 24, 2011, 8:48 PM EDT
Kansas stacked its 2011-12 non-conference schedule with the likes of Kentucky, Ohio State, USC and the loaded Maui Invitational field, which could include games against the likes of Duke, Georgetown, Memphis, Michigan, Tennessee or UCLA.
Exactly the kind of slate I wish the Jayhawks would’ve had the last two seasons. Games against the Wildcats and Buckeyes would’ve been a viewer’s delight.
Not that Kansas played chumps. UCLA, Memphis and Michigan all played KU the last two years. Arizona, USC, Temple and Tennessee also got in there. But adding Kentucky and Ohio State to the schedule is a fan’s dream.
Question is, will it be Kansas’ nightmare?
“It’s a tough schedule,” coach Bill Self said in a statement. “One that will give us a ton of exposure, and with the young team we will have playing for us next year, it will be a great challenge. We need to be preparing now for next year.”
No kidding. As Justin Young notes, the Jayhawks won’t have their usual size up front. The Morris twins are gone, leaving forward Thomas Robinson and underwhelming center Jeff Withey as the only experienced big men. Incoming freshman Braedon Anderson isn’t expected to make an instant impact.
That leaves Self’s squad to go small against some of the nation’s most promising forwards (Kentucky) and the best big man (Ohio State). But all for Self to figure out.
I’m mostly dreaming of how Kansas games against Ohio State and Kentucky the last two years would’ve played out …
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
May 29, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
Dai-Jon Parker played this past season at the University of Indianapolis.
May 28, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
Fred Hoiberg’s status has impacted recruiting in multiple cases for Iowa State this spring.
May 28, 2015, 7:43 PM EDT
Big 12 tournaments held at the Sprint Center have averaged more than 18,000 fans per session.
May 28, 2015, 6:41 PM EDT
Each team will have three “permanent” opponents they’re guaranteed to play twice every season.
May 28, 2015, 5:46 PM EDT
Video surfaced showing that Alie-Cox wasn’t involved in the incident, contradicting a woman’s claim that he punched her in the face.
May 28, 2015, 4:04 PM EDT
UConn’s now added three transfers to the program this spring, two of whom will be eligible immediately as graduate students.
May 28, 2015, 3:24 PM EDT
Foster led Clemson to their only Elite 8 appearance in program history.
May 28, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
Paige went to high school an hour from UNI’s campus.
May 28, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Iowa State fans shouldn’t freak out too much.
May 28, 2015, 12:24 PM EDT
Dellavedova was a star with the Gaels before he became this year’s NBA Playoff star.
May 28, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Byers created the term “student-athlete” and first sold TV rights for NCAA broadcasts, but later wrote a book blasting the NCAA for exploiting athletes.
May 28, 2015, 9:52 AM EDT
This is a step in the right direction by the Big 12.
May 27, 2015, 11:27 PM EDT
It’s safe to say that Sherman is no fan of the NCAA.
May 27, 2015, 9:05 PM EDT
The shot clock won’t have as much of an impact on offenses as lessening the physicality of the game.
May 27, 2015, 7:31 PM EDT
The 6-foot-11 center was originally expected to attend prep school before joining Memphis in 2016.
May 27, 2015, 5:38 PM EDT
The 6-foot-6 southpaw showed off his arm, and was accurate in doing so.
May 27, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
Matthews is the recruit everyone forgets about.
May 27, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
That numbers is half what it was in 2015.
May 27, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Self and his wife created the Assists Foundation.
May 27, 2015, 11:09 AM EDT
Reed broke a cop’s finger while resisting a shoplifting arrest.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 37
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (37)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)