May 9, 2011, 11:59 PM EDT
It’s official. March Madness just got a little less fun.
Gus Johnson and CBS have officially parted ways, leaving the NCAA tournament without its most popular play-by-play announcer starting next season. News first leaked of this last week, but CBS still had time to retain Johnson. It chose not to.
Johnson’s popularity stems from his enthusiastic style and emphatic calls – Rise and Fire! – but it’s also one of the reasons why CBS chose not to renew his contract. The N.Y. Daily News reported that his popularity caused friction among the other on-air talents. From the paper:
A CBS source who wanted Johnson – a former (New York) Knick radio voice – back said that not only money, but politics was an issue. The source said some of CBS Sports’ college hoops voices were not thrilled with Johnson’s rise to March Madness’ most popular voice.
Sigh. A few people had to spoil it for the rest of us. Thanks a lot.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)