May 16, 2011, 8:09 PM EDT
Mike Krzyzewski’s 2009-10 season turned out to be very, very good.
Duke won the ACC tournament title, shared the regular-season crown and led the Devils to their fourth NCAA tournament title.
His reward? Nearly $4.7 million in compensation, according to a report from the AP.
That covers a base salary of $2 million, more than $2.2 million in bonuses and incentives and $420,000 in retirement and other deferred compensation. Those figures are according to IRS documents filed by the school.
Even so, it’s not that much more than Coach K’s recent paychecks. He made almost $4.2 million in 2008-09 and about $3.6 in 2007-08.
Perhaps more amazing is that Louisville coach Rick Pitino will make $7.5 million this season (Coach K will pull in about $4.2 again), according to USA Today figures. That’s an absurd number made possible by a massive $3.5 million bonus.
Kentucky coach John Calipari also makes more than $4 million thanks to hitting some of the bonus clauses in his contract.
(For comparison, two football coaches, Alabama’s Nick Saban and Texas’ Mack Brown, both make more than $5 million.)
But the most amazing aspect of Duke’s compensation? It gave football coach David Cutcliffe $1.7 million. Fairly certain Coach K is a better investment.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)