May 16, 2011, 8:09 PM EST
Mike Krzyzewski’s 2009-10 season turned out to be very, very good.
Duke won the ACC tournament title, shared the regular-season crown and led the Devils to their fourth NCAA tournament title.
His reward? Nearly $4.7 million in compensation, according to a report from the AP.
That covers a base salary of $2 million, more than $2.2 million in bonuses and incentives and $420,000 in retirement and other deferred compensation. Those figures are according to IRS documents filed by the school.
Even so, it’s not that much more than Coach K’s recent paychecks. He made almost $4.2 million in 2008-09 and about $3.6 in 2007-08.
Perhaps more amazing is that Louisville coach Rick Pitino will make $7.5 million this season (Coach K will pull in about $4.2 again), according to USA Today figures. That’s an absurd number made possible by a massive $3.5 million bonus.
Kentucky coach John Calipari also makes more than $4 million thanks to hitting some of the bonus clauses in his contract.
(For comparison, two football coaches, Alabama’s Nick Saban and Texas’ Mack Brown, both make more than $5 million.)
But the most amazing aspect of Duke’s compensation? It gave football coach David Cutcliffe $1.7 million. Fairly certain Coach K is a better investment.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 1
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)