May 16, 2011, 8:09 PM EDT
Mike Krzyzewski’s 2009-10 season turned out to be very, very good.
Duke won the ACC tournament title, shared the regular-season crown and led the Devils to their fourth NCAA tournament title.
His reward? Nearly $4.7 million in compensation, according to a report from the AP.
That covers a base salary of $2 million, more than $2.2 million in bonuses and incentives and $420,000 in retirement and other deferred compensation. Those figures are according to IRS documents filed by the school.
Even so, it’s not that much more than Coach K’s recent paychecks. He made almost $4.2 million in 2008-09 and about $3.6 in 2007-08.
Perhaps more amazing is that Louisville coach Rick Pitino will make $7.5 million this season (Coach K will pull in about $4.2 again), according to USA Today figures. That’s an absurd number made possible by a massive $3.5 million bonus.
Kentucky coach John Calipari also makes more than $4 million thanks to hitting some of the bonus clauses in his contract.
(For comparison, two football coaches, Alabama’s Nick Saban and Texas’ Mack Brown, both make more than $5 million.)
But the most amazing aspect of Duke’s compensation? It gave football coach David Cutcliffe $1.7 million. Fairly certain Coach K is a better investment.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 14
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 9
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 7
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 7
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 71
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 9
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 17
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (71)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (26)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)