May 16, 2011, 8:09 PM EDT
Mike Krzyzewski’s 2009-10 season turned out to be very, very good.
Duke won the ACC tournament title, shared the regular-season crown and led the Devils to their fourth NCAA tournament title.
His reward? Nearly $4.7 million in compensation, according to a report from the AP.
That covers a base salary of $2 million, more than $2.2 million in bonuses and incentives and $420,000 in retirement and other deferred compensation. Those figures are according to IRS documents filed by the school.
Even so, it’s not that much more than Coach K’s recent paychecks. He made almost $4.2 million in 2008-09 and about $3.6 in 2007-08.
Perhaps more amazing is that Louisville coach Rick Pitino will make $7.5 million this season (Coach K will pull in about $4.2 again), according to USA Today figures. That’s an absurd number made possible by a massive $3.5 million bonus.
Kentucky coach John Calipari also makes more than $4 million thanks to hitting some of the bonus clauses in his contract.
(For comparison, two football coaches, Alabama’s Nick Saban and Texas’ Mack Brown, both make more than $5 million.)
But the most amazing aspect of Duke’s compensation? It gave football coach David Cutcliffe $1.7 million. Fairly certain Coach K is a better investment.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)