May 16, 2011, 8:09 PM EDT
Mike Krzyzewski’s 2009-10 season turned out to be very, very good.
Duke won the ACC tournament title, shared the regular-season crown and led the Devils to their fourth NCAA tournament title.
His reward? Nearly $4.7 million in compensation, according to a report from the AP.
That covers a base salary of $2 million, more than $2.2 million in bonuses and incentives and $420,000 in retirement and other deferred compensation. Those figures are according to IRS documents filed by the school.
Even so, it’s not that much more than Coach K’s recent paychecks. He made almost $4.2 million in 2008-09 and about $3.6 in 2007-08.
Perhaps more amazing is that Louisville coach Rick Pitino will make $7.5 million this season (Coach K will pull in about $4.2 again), according to USA Today figures. That’s an absurd number made possible by a massive $3.5 million bonus.
Kentucky coach John Calipari also makes more than $4 million thanks to hitting some of the bonus clauses in his contract.
(For comparison, two football coaches, Alabama’s Nick Saban and Texas’ Mack Brown, both make more than $5 million.)
But the most amazing aspect of Duke’s compensation? It gave football coach David Cutcliffe $1.7 million. Fairly certain Coach K is a better investment.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)