May 17, 2011, 8:20 AM EST
A former Wake Forest student will appear on the Today Show to discuss an alleged rape that occurred before the March 19, 2009 NCAA tournament game against Cleveland State, according to an announcement by the National Coalition Against Violent Athletes on its Facebook page.
How the school and players on that team handle the allegations remains to be seen. There will undoubtedly be announcements before the show and rampant speculation about who was involved.
The segment airs around 8 a.m. ET.
UPDATE: Wake Forest president Nathan Hatch issued a statment today. The complete text follows.
Dear Members of the Wake Forest Community,
It is my understanding that on Thursday, NBC’s Today Show plans to air a story about the problem of sexual assault on college and university campuses. We have been advised by a producer of the Today Show that the story will include an interview with a former Wake Forest student involving an incident that occurred several years ago. I am aware that some members of the local news media have received an email purporting to provide information about that incident. I have also recently learned that this same email may have been circulated more broadly, and some members of our Wake Forest community may have received it in their personal email accounts.
Regarding this matter, I must emphasize that Federal law (FERPA) prevents the University from discussing specifics of this or any other student case. I can assure you the University takes these issues seriously, has a well-established Code of Conduct and has procedures for hearing alleged violations of that Code of Conduct. In addition, Wake Forest offers significant resources to support our students in times of need.
Fostering a positive and respectful living and learning environment is of paramount importance at Wake Forest University. As part of our Pro Humanitate mission we strive to treat all of our students with integrity and compassion.
Rest assured that the University is taking appropriate action to respond to this matter.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)