Jun 6, 2011, 4:45 PM EDT
The Mountain West is serious about being taken seriously.
So much so, it’s got a new logo, a new slogan and a new video featuring a voiceover from one of the guys who does all those Miller Lite commercials. (Or someone in the John Facenda vein.)
Hey, it’s all part of trying to play ball with the BCS conferences. You want to be taken seriously, you get yourself a new logo – complete with its own nickname, “The Rock” – and a tagline, “This is our time.”
So sit back, relax and soak in the seriousness.
It’s just too bad the conference didn’t seriously consider a new logo, slogan, etc. The logo’s hopelessly retro and the tagline’s cheesy. And the video? Yeah. Sorry about asking you to watch it.
But hey, the MWC brass are excited about everything.
“Our fans were right in noting that our evolving membership and geography reflect both ‘Mountain’ and ‘West’ equally,” Commissioner Craig Thompson said in a release. “The logo is bold, strong and balanced just like our league. We like the fact that it’s instantly recognizable to fans on either side of the playing field.”
“There’s never been a more exciting time to be a part of the Mountain West,” Gould noted. “The success our member institutions have enjoyed both athletically and academically and the positive new membership changes on the horizon means we’ve never been more united. We’re proud to state ‘This is our time’ because we believe our future is unquestionably bright.”
The conference kept it all under wraps for months, leading up to today’s unveiling. Gotta side with Jeremy Mauss – what was the fuss about?
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
May 26, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
DeAndre Ayton finally got a chance to play this spring and delivered in a big way.
May 26, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
Point guard CJ Walker is focused on seven schools during the recruiting process.
May 26, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Four-star guard Maverick Rowan has a choice to make for his basketball future in the immediate future.
May 26, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
Minnesota closed out its 2015 recruiting efforts with its second incoming transfer of the offseason.
May 26, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
The spring grassroots season is over and another spring EYBL season is complete.
May 26, 2015, 3:21 PM EDT
The schedule isn’t out yet, but each team now knows who they will play and where they will play them.
May 26, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
RaShid Gaston averaged 15.5 points and 9.6 boards.
May 26, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Shaqquan Aaron could never crack Rick Pitino’s rotation.
May 26, 2015, 12:42 PM EDT
The only people that would punish are the people that had nothing to do with the violations in the first place.
May 26, 2015, 10:54 AM EDT
Collins has Northwestern trending in the right direction.
May 26, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
It pays to be able to recruit the way they do.
Austin Rivers plays pick-up against LSU freshman Antonio Blakeney, Rutgers freshman Corey Sanders (VIDEO)
May 25, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Austin Rivers played against some exciting rising freshmen in Antonio Blakeney and Corey Sanders.
May 25, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
Conference USA Freshman of the Year winner Torin Dorn is focusing on four schools.
May 25, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
Auburn is losing a reserve forward.
May 25, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Jamal Murray is one of the major pieces still in question for the 2015-16 college basketball season.
May 25, 2015, 3:23 PM EDT
This is actually kind of creepy.
May 25, 2015, 1:49 PM EDT
This seems risky.
May 25, 2015, 11:48 AM EDT
Bridges is considering hometown schools as well as a pair of blue-bloods.
May 25, 2015, 11:04 AM EDT
Will Maker ever make it to college?
May 24, 2015, 7:29 PM EDT
Arizona State’s “Curtain of Distraction” made an appearance as well.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 26
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (26)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)