Jun 7, 2011, 8:30 AM EDT
Oregon’s spiffy new arena and its crazy floor spawned an imitator. Didn’t take long, either.
Towson’s revamping its basketball court with the same flair the Ducks gave Matt Court, adding tiger stripes on the floor, new baseline logos and a new “Tiger Paw” at the scorer’s table. And rest assured, Oregon is the influence.
“Just like Oregon did last year at the Matthew Knight Arena with their new look, we feel that our new court is a plus for recruiting because kids like things that are unique and cutting edge in design,” basketball coach Pat Skerry said in a release.
The new floor will be ready for the 2011-12 season. When the new $68 million Tiger Arena opens in 2013, the floor will be there too.
As the photos here show, the floor’s not quite as abrasive as Oregon’s court, which means it probably won’t be as divisive when it comes to viewers.
But hey, there’s still time for another school to revamp their hoops courts with designs like these.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness