Jun 9, 2011, 10:43 PM EST
The last time UCLA secured a highly touted recruit who wasn’t from the West Coast was 2008 when Dallas center J’mison Morgan was part of a class that included Jrue Holiday, Malcolm Lee, Jerime Anderson and Drew Gordon.Before that, it was pretty much only Luc Richard Mbah a Moute in 2005.
But hey, it’s UCLA. The Bruins should – and usually do – have their pick of the best in California and most of the West Coast.
But the last few years haven’t been quite as fruitful. They missed out on Derrick Williams, Michael Snaer, Nick Johnson and Josiah Turner, among others. (An odd dip in the California talent base also hasn’t helped.)
So Ben Howland did what any smart coach would do. He snagged an assistant with ties to a strong AAU program by announcing the addition of Korey McCray to the staff.
Even smarter? McCray’s ties are to Atlanta, giving the Bruins a direct line to East Coast talent.
“There’s no guarantee he’s going to be able to recruit the players. But he knows the family and will have, from a familiarity standpoint and personal-contact standpoint, [a relationship] that should be very advantageous for him and for UCLA,” North Carolina-based recruiting expert Bob Gibbons told the L.A. Times.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 0
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 0
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)