Jun 9, 2011, 10:43 PM EDT
The last time UCLA secured a highly touted recruit who wasn’t from the West Coast was 2008 when Dallas center J’mison Morgan was part of a class that included Jrue Holiday, Malcolm Lee, Jerime Anderson and Drew Gordon.Before that, it was pretty much only Luc Richard Mbah a Moute in 2005.
But hey, it’s UCLA. The Bruins should – and usually do – have their pick of the best in California and most of the West Coast.
But the last few years haven’t been quite as fruitful. They missed out on Derrick Williams, Michael Snaer, Nick Johnson and Josiah Turner, among others. (An odd dip in the California talent base also hasn’t helped.)
So Ben Howland did what any smart coach would do. He snagged an assistant with ties to a strong AAU program by announcing the addition of Korey McCray to the staff.
Even smarter? McCray’s ties are to Atlanta, giving the Bruins a direct line to East Coast talent.
“There’s no guarantee he’s going to be able to recruit the players. But he knows the family and will have, from a familiarity standpoint and personal-contact standpoint, [a relationship] that should be very advantageous for him and for UCLA,” North Carolina-based recruiting expert Bob Gibbons told the L.A. Times.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)