Jul 4, 2011, 9:30 AM EST
Rivals.com has proclaimed a new No. 1 for the class of 2012. And it’s not a big man.
Connecticut prospect Andre Drummond or Baylor recruit Isaiah Austin usually nabbed the top spot among the various scouting Web sites (Drummond is No. 1 according to Scout and ESPN), but 6-6 lefty wing Shabazz Muhammad has impressed the guys at Rivals so much in the last few months that they bumped him up.
“Shabazz Muhammad has certainly passed through the gauntlet of scrutiny,” said Rivals.com’s national basketball analyst Jerry Meyer. “Over time he has answered all the questions about his game and continues to improve. There might be some prospects that could end up better than Muhammad, but the odds don’t seem to be in favor of that happening. The smart move at this point is to make Muhammad the top prospect in the Rivals150.”
It’s tough to argue. The guy has some jaw-dropping skills.
The move comes just before the adidas Invitational in Indianapolis (July 6-9), which features a Thursday matchup of Muhammad’s Dream Vision team vs. Drummond’s Connecticut Basketball Pool. The two won’t be guarding each other, but that won’t keep people from talking about who played better and who’s deserving of the No. 1 spot.
Which means Rivals might be ahead of the curve.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)