Jul 4, 2011, 9:30 AM EST
Rivals.com has proclaimed a new No. 1 for the class of 2012. And it’s not a big man.
Connecticut prospect Andre Drummond or Baylor recruit Isaiah Austin usually nabbed the top spot among the various scouting Web sites (Drummond is No. 1 according to Scout and ESPN), but 6-6 lefty wing Shabazz Muhammad has impressed the guys at Rivals so much in the last few months that they bumped him up.
“Shabazz Muhammad has certainly passed through the gauntlet of scrutiny,” said Rivals.com’s national basketball analyst Jerry Meyer. “Over time he has answered all the questions about his game and continues to improve. There might be some prospects that could end up better than Muhammad, but the odds don’t seem to be in favor of that happening. The smart move at this point is to make Muhammad the top prospect in the Rivals150.”
It’s tough to argue. The guy has some jaw-dropping skills.
The move comes just before the adidas Invitational in Indianapolis (July 6-9), which features a Thursday matchup of Muhammad’s Dream Vision team vs. Drummond’s Connecticut Basketball Pool. The two won’t be guarding each other, but that won’t keep people from talking about who played better and who’s deserving of the No. 1 spot.
Which means Rivals might be ahead of the curve.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)