Jul 4, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT
Rivals.com has proclaimed a new No. 1 for the class of 2012. And it’s not a big man.
Connecticut prospect Andre Drummond or Baylor recruit Isaiah Austin usually nabbed the top spot among the various scouting Web sites (Drummond is No. 1 according to Scout and ESPN), but 6-6 lefty wing Shabazz Muhammad has impressed the guys at Rivals so much in the last few months that they bumped him up.
“Shabazz Muhammad has certainly passed through the gauntlet of scrutiny,” said Rivals.com’s national basketball analyst Jerry Meyer. “Over time he has answered all the questions about his game and continues to improve. There might be some prospects that could end up better than Muhammad, but the odds don’t seem to be in favor of that happening. The smart move at this point is to make Muhammad the top prospect in the Rivals150.”
It’s tough to argue. The guy has some jaw-dropping skills.
The move comes just before the adidas Invitational in Indianapolis (July 6-9), which features a Thursday matchup of Muhammad’s Dream Vision team vs. Drummond’s Connecticut Basketball Pool. The two won’t be guarding each other, but that won’t keep people from talking about who played better and who’s deserving of the No. 1 spot.
Which means Rivals might be ahead of the curve.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 1
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)