Jul 4, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT
Rivals.com has proclaimed a new No. 1 for the class of 2012. And it’s not a big man.
Connecticut prospect Andre Drummond or Baylor recruit Isaiah Austin usually nabbed the top spot among the various scouting Web sites (Drummond is No. 1 according to Scout and ESPN), but 6-6 lefty wing Shabazz Muhammad has impressed the guys at Rivals so much in the last few months that they bumped him up.
“Shabazz Muhammad has certainly passed through the gauntlet of scrutiny,” said Rivals.com’s national basketball analyst Jerry Meyer. “Over time he has answered all the questions about his game and continues to improve. There might be some prospects that could end up better than Muhammad, but the odds don’t seem to be in favor of that happening. The smart move at this point is to make Muhammad the top prospect in the Rivals150.”
It’s tough to argue. The guy has some jaw-dropping skills.
The move comes just before the adidas Invitational in Indianapolis (July 6-9), which features a Thursday matchup of Muhammad’s Dream Vision team vs. Drummond’s Connecticut Basketball Pool. The two won’t be guarding each other, but that won’t keep people from talking about who played better and who’s deserving of the No. 1 spot.
Which means Rivals might be ahead of the curve.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)