Jul 7, 2011, 1:35 PM EDT
Larry Scott remains intent on pushing boundaries for the Pac-12.
The conference commissioner brought Colorado and Utah to the league, snagged a hefty new TV deal, is considering a move to showing games on phones, tablets and desktops and even showing games in China to open an international market.
Now in his third year, Scott, who previously was CEO of the WTA, isn’t ready to rule anything out. And that includes retaining the option of building a superconference.
The talk of last summer – when the SEC, Big Ten and seemingly every conference who could considered some kind of massive expansion – might resurface later this decade. If that happens, Scott won’t hesitate to make a move.
So, is there a Pac-16 in the near future?
“I’m laser focused on making the Pac-12 as the preeminent conference in the country as 12,” Scott says. “I still believe, however, that someday we are going to see further consolidation in college sports and we will see a move to the superconference.
“My job and our conference’s focus is being the strongest possible conference out there … being a place that is coveted, so if and when dominos start to fall again, we’ll be very well positioned.”
I don’t doubt it. If the superconferences ever take hold, the Pac-12 will certainly be the option for the West Coast’s BIG league. Only question will be is if it can poach Texas ….
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 1
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 3
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights