Jul 11, 2011, 8:27 PM EDT
A reminder for those who’ve followed the class of 2011 for a few years: Two elite prospects will have new names on their jerseys.
Incoming Kentucky freshman Michael Gilchrist is going by Michael Kidd-Gilchrist to honor his uncle, Darrin Kidd, who died last year. He’s “happy” about the move, too.
North Carolina recruit James McAdoo made the change to James Michael McAdoo back in May, mostly to help distinguish himself from other McAdoos in the Tar Heel family. His uncle, James, played hoops in the ‘70s, while Jared and Michael McAdoo suit up for the UNC football team. (The footballers have had legal issues, which helps explain the move.)
Anyway, both of these might be considered old news. But consider them a helpful reminder to those of us who are trying to keep things straight this fall – because some old habits are hard to break.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Report: Devonta Pollard no longer enrolled at Alabama 0
- Communication plays vital role in development of Marquette’s Vander Blue 0
- This week is a very important week for Ed O’Bannon’s case against the NCAA 0
- A broken foot failed to derail C.J. McCollum’s trek to the lottery 0
- The most important skill Michael Carter-Williams learned as a freshman? Work ethic 0
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- LIVE: Stanley Cup Final Game 4 pregame show
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming