Jul 13, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
There’s little doubt Austin Rivers will be one of Duke’s impact players next season. The 6-3 sharpshooting guard is Rivals’ top recruit for the class of 2011 thanks to his scoring ability, confidence and hoops IQ.
However. At least one college hoops coach says Rivers must improve in some areas. And it happens to be the coach that matters.
“He’s got to change,” coach Mike Krzyzewski told the Raleigh News & Observer. “He’s got to learn to become a complete player. For any freshman coming in, there’s a huge difference in playing with older guys, more physical. It’s a whole different thing.”
That’s worth noting. Coach K isn’t shy about relying on freshmen, so it’s not like he’s skeptical of Rivers’ talents. It sounds like he’s more concerned about Rivers being too comfortable and not starting his college career with a hunger to improve.
After all, Rivers could be Duke’s top scorer next season. And Coach K’s hardly worried about Rivers’ work ethic. He just wants to ensure Rivers isn’t an offense-only player.
“We’re happy to have him,” Krzyzewski said. “He has a beautiful heart and an amazing, competitive spirit.”
Also, Rivers can throw down a nasty dunk or two. Ask Rasheed Wallace about that.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)