Jul 13, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
There’s little doubt Austin Rivers will be one of Duke’s impact players next season. The 6-3 sharpshooting guard is Rivals’ top recruit for the class of 2011 thanks to his scoring ability, confidence and hoops IQ.
However. At least one college hoops coach says Rivers must improve in some areas. And it happens to be the coach that matters.
“He’s got to change,” coach Mike Krzyzewski told the Raleigh News & Observer. “He’s got to learn to become a complete player. For any freshman coming in, there’s a huge difference in playing with older guys, more physical. It’s a whole different thing.”
That’s worth noting. Coach K isn’t shy about relying on freshmen, so it’s not like he’s skeptical of Rivers’ talents. It sounds like he’s more concerned about Rivers being too comfortable and not starting his college career with a hunger to improve.
After all, Rivers could be Duke’s top scorer next season. And Coach K’s hardly worried about Rivers’ work ethic. He just wants to ensure Rivers isn’t an offense-only player.
“We’re happy to have him,” Krzyzewski said. “He has a beautiful heart and an amazing, competitive spirit.”
Also, Rivers can throw down a nasty dunk or two. Ask Rasheed Wallace about that.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)
- Indiana president none too pleased with recent legal issues involving student-athletes (1)
- Throwback Thursday: When we realized Russell Westbrook was a freak (VIDEO) (1)