Jul 13, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
There’s little doubt Austin Rivers will be one of Duke’s impact players next season. The 6-3 sharpshooting guard is Rivals’ top recruit for the class of 2011 thanks to his scoring ability, confidence and hoops IQ.
However. At least one college hoops coach says Rivers must improve in some areas. And it happens to be the coach that matters.
“He’s got to change,” coach Mike Krzyzewski told the Raleigh News & Observer. “He’s got to learn to become a complete player. For any freshman coming in, there’s a huge difference in playing with older guys, more physical. It’s a whole different thing.”
That’s worth noting. Coach K isn’t shy about relying on freshmen, so it’s not like he’s skeptical of Rivers’ talents. It sounds like he’s more concerned about Rivers being too comfortable and not starting his college career with a hunger to improve.
After all, Rivers could be Duke’s top scorer next season. And Coach K’s hardly worried about Rivers’ work ethic. He just wants to ensure Rivers isn’t an offense-only player.
“We’re happy to have him,” Krzyzewski said. “He has a beautiful heart and an amazing, competitive spirit.”
Also, Rivers can throw down a nasty dunk or two. Ask Rasheed Wallace about that.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 33
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (36)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)