Jul 13, 2011, 10:45 PM EST
John Calipari and Mike Krzyzewski usually snag the headlines when it comes to highest-paid college hoops coaches, but they’re hardly the only ones making big bucks.
The USA Today salary database lists 11 coaches with total compensation of more than $2 million and 11 more who made at least $1.5 million a year. (Bruce Pearl is on that list.)
So if you’re one of those mega-bucks coaches, which school is getting the most for its money the last two years?
Glenn Logan over at A Sea of Blue compiled various stats of the 10 highest-paid coaches (wins, NCAA tourney wins, money received from those tournament wins, salary, etc) and ranked those coaches by actual cost per victory in terms of each coach’s salary.
Note that Duke paid Coach K more per win than Ohio State paid Thad Matta, Texas paid Rick Barnes, Arizona paid Sean Miller, Kansas paid Bill Self and Kentucky paid Calipari. But Krzyzewski gets the nod at No. 2 because Duke won the title in 2010. Fair enough. Also not sure this guy is happy to Calhoun atop the list.
Is it a perfect representation of each coach’s worth to their school? No, but Glenn would admit as much. He’s simply trying to give a snapshot of the money involved related to the recent success of these coaches. And it is interesting when the money and wins are laid out like this.
The only thing that would add a little more context? Linking to this report of college basketball’s highest revenue schools. These guys help make it a business, not just sports.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)