Jul 13, 2011, 10:45 PM EDT
John Calipari and Mike Krzyzewski usually snag the headlines when it comes to highest-paid college hoops coaches, but they’re hardly the only ones making big bucks.
The USA Today salary database lists 11 coaches with total compensation of more than $2 million and 11 more who made at least $1.5 million a year. (Bruce Pearl is on that list.)
So if you’re one of those mega-bucks coaches, which school is getting the most for its money the last two years?
Glenn Logan over at A Sea of Blue compiled various stats of the 10 highest-paid coaches (wins, NCAA tourney wins, money received from those tournament wins, salary, etc) and ranked those coaches by actual cost per victory in terms of each coach’s salary.
Note that Duke paid Coach K more per win than Ohio State paid Thad Matta, Texas paid Rick Barnes, Arizona paid Sean Miller, Kansas paid Bill Self and Kentucky paid Calipari. But Krzyzewski gets the nod at No. 2 because Duke won the title in 2010. Fair enough. Also not sure this guy is happy to Calhoun atop the list.
Is it a perfect representation of each coach’s worth to their school? No, but Glenn would admit as much. He’s simply trying to give a snapshot of the money involved related to the recent success of these coaches. And it is interesting when the money and wins are laid out like this.
The only thing that would add a little more context? Linking to this report of college basketball’s highest revenue schools. These guys help make it a business, not just sports.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 0
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (3)