Jul 13, 2011, 10:45 PM EST
John Calipari and Mike Krzyzewski usually snag the headlines when it comes to highest-paid college hoops coaches, but they’re hardly the only ones making big bucks.
The USA Today salary database lists 11 coaches with total compensation of more than $2 million and 11 more who made at least $1.5 million a year. (Bruce Pearl is on that list.)
So if you’re one of those mega-bucks coaches, which school is getting the most for its money the last two years?
Glenn Logan over at A Sea of Blue compiled various stats of the 10 highest-paid coaches (wins, NCAA tourney wins, money received from those tournament wins, salary, etc) and ranked those coaches by actual cost per victory in terms of each coach’s salary.
Note that Duke paid Coach K more per win than Ohio State paid Thad Matta, Texas paid Rick Barnes, Arizona paid Sean Miller, Kansas paid Bill Self and Kentucky paid Calipari. But Krzyzewski gets the nod at No. 2 because Duke won the title in 2010. Fair enough. Also not sure this guy is happy to Calhoun atop the list.
Is it a perfect representation of each coach’s worth to their school? No, but Glenn would admit as much. He’s simply trying to give a snapshot of the money involved related to the recent success of these coaches. And it is interesting when the money and wins are laid out like this.
The only thing that would add a little more context? Linking to this report of college basketball’s highest revenue schools. These guys help make it a business, not just sports.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)