Jul 13, 2011, 10:45 PM EST
John Calipari and Mike Krzyzewski usually snag the headlines when it comes to highest-paid college hoops coaches, but they’re hardly the only ones making big bucks.
The USA Today salary database lists 11 coaches with total compensation of more than $2 million and 11 more who made at least $1.5 million a year. (Bruce Pearl is on that list.)
So if you’re one of those mega-bucks coaches, which school is getting the most for its money the last two years?
Glenn Logan over at A Sea of Blue compiled various stats of the 10 highest-paid coaches (wins, NCAA tourney wins, money received from those tournament wins, salary, etc) and ranked those coaches by actual cost per victory in terms of each coach’s salary.
Note that Duke paid Coach K more per win than Ohio State paid Thad Matta, Texas paid Rick Barnes, Arizona paid Sean Miller, Kansas paid Bill Self and Kentucky paid Calipari. But Krzyzewski gets the nod at No. 2 because Duke won the title in 2010. Fair enough. Also not sure this guy is happy to Calhoun atop the list.
Is it a perfect representation of each coach’s worth to their school? No, but Glenn would admit as much. He’s simply trying to give a snapshot of the money involved related to the recent success of these coaches. And it is interesting when the money and wins are laid out like this.
The only thing that would add a little more context? Linking to this report of college basketball’s highest revenue schools. These guys help make it a business, not just sports.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)