Jul 14, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
Jimmermania is unstoppable. Kemba Walker can attest to that.
Jimmer Fredette won nearly every college hoops award after leading the nation in scoring, helping BYU to a school record 32 wins, a MWC title and a spot in the Sweet 16. People loved his shooting exploits, made songs about him and basically turned him into a demigod.
However, as Walker made clear in Connecticut’s run to the NCAA title, Fredette wasn’t the best player last season.
Not that it mattered when it came to fans voting on the “Best Male College Athlete” for this year’s ESPY awards. Jimmermania prevailed. Hell, Fredette even beat out Cam Newton, who swept all the college football awards AND won a national title.
That’s the power of The Jimmer. Go figure.
Yet, it still hasn’t gone to Fredette’s head. He tweeted this shortly after the ceremony.
And, in a classy move, Walker tweeted his own congrats to Fredette.
Gotta like that. Walker knows how to win, and how to lose with dignity. Good show, guys.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)