Jul 14, 2011, 8:45 AM EST
Jimmermania is unstoppable. Kemba Walker can attest to that.
Jimmer Fredette won nearly every college hoops award after leading the nation in scoring, helping BYU to a school record 32 wins, a MWC title and a spot in the Sweet 16. People loved his shooting exploits, made songs about him and basically turned him into a demigod.
However, as Walker made clear in Connecticut’s run to the NCAA title, Fredette wasn’t the best player last season.
Not that it mattered when it came to fans voting on the “Best Male College Athlete” for this year’s ESPY awards. Jimmermania prevailed. Hell, Fredette even beat out Cam Newton, who swept all the college football awards AND won a national title.
That’s the power of The Jimmer. Go figure.
Yet, it still hasn’t gone to Fredette’s head. He tweeted this shortly after the ceremony.
And, in a classy move, Walker tweeted his own congrats to Fredette.
Gotta like that. Walker knows how to win, and how to lose with dignity. Good show, guys.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Two-time plane crash survivor Austin Hatch scores first career point in Michigan win (VIDEO) 0
- Late Night Snacks: Temple blows out Kansas, Purdue loses to Gardner-Webb 0
- Temple embarrasses No. 10 Kansas by 25 points 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Illinois Fighting Illini 0
- NBCSports.com Midseason All-American Team 0
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville 2
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (3)