Jul 14, 2011, 8:45 AM EST
Jimmermania is unstoppable. Kemba Walker can attest to that.
Jimmer Fredette won nearly every college hoops award after leading the nation in scoring, helping BYU to a school record 32 wins, a MWC title and a spot in the Sweet 16. People loved his shooting exploits, made songs about him and basically turned him into a demigod.
However, as Walker made clear in Connecticut’s run to the NCAA title, Fredette wasn’t the best player last season.
Not that it mattered when it came to fans voting on the “Best Male College Athlete” for this year’s ESPY awards. Jimmermania prevailed. Hell, Fredette even beat out Cam Newton, who swept all the college football awards AND won a national title.
That’s the power of The Jimmer. Go figure.
Yet, it still hasn’t gone to Fredette’s head. He tweeted this shortly after the ceremony.
And, in a classy move, Walker tweeted his own congrats to Fredette.
Gotta like that. Walker knows how to win, and how to lose with dignity. Good show, guys.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)