Jul 15, 2011, 9:15 AM EST
The Thomas Robinson bandwagon might be full when the season rolls around. Some big names are already on board.
Both Jay Bilas and Fran Frachilla think the Kansas forward is primed for a big year now that he’ll be the focal point of KU’s offense with the Morris twins gone. Guys have noticed that the 6-10, 240-pound junior is physical, relentless and has consistently improved each year in Lawrence.
Oh yeah. Count LeBron James in too.
As Gary Bedore writes at the Lawrence Journal-World, Robinson impressed the Miami Heat star during the Skills Academy last week in Akron, Ohio.
“He said himself I was strong, so that was a compliment,” Robinson told the paper. “He was cool, way down-to-earth, even more than I thought. I really respect him.
“He’s tweeted me and told me to keep working. I told him I will. I told him to talk for me. I’m trying to make some noises here. He said he will, so I mean hopefully he will.”
Robinson also got a chance to play against Ohio State center Jared Sullinger (“one of the smartest players I’ve been around”) and incoming Kentucky prospect Anthony Davis (“quick”) and apparently held his own against them as well.
That’s good news for Jayhawks fans. KU lost six of its top players from last year and Robinson’s the guy who’ll have to shoulder the load. Sounds as if he’s up to the challenge.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- NBCSports.com Midseason All-American Team 0
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Ohio State Buckeyes 0
- Weekly Awards: Marquette’s new addition, a shakeup in Pac-12’s power structure ? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 25: Virginia moves up, three teams drop out 1
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 1
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss (3)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)