Jul 17, 2011, 11:30 PM EST
The death of an investment banker who founded a prominent Houston-area summer basketball program could shine a spotlight on the finances of several college basketball coaches. And not in a good way.
David Salinas, 60, died of an apparent suicide Sunday not long after news emerged that he was being investigated by the Securities and Exchange Commission for fraudulent practices that might’ve cost those coaches who invested with Salinas millions of dollars, CBSSports.com reported.
It’s an issue because it’s unclear how the NCAA might view college coaches investing money with the founder of a summer hoops program that supplied recruits to schools through the years. Among the players, as CBSSports.com reports, include Juwann McClellan, Demetri Goodson, Joseph Jones, Dexter Pittman and Cartier Martin.
And the coaches? Well, it’s a lengthy list. From the site:
Former Arizona coach Lute Olson, Baylor coach Scott Drew, Texas Tech coach Billy Gillispie and former Utah coach and current Gonzaga assistant Ray Giacoletti are among those CBSSports.com has confirmed invested with Salinas. A document obtained late Sunday by CBSSports.com has testimonials from other coaches who invested with Salinas — specifically Nebraska coach Doc Sadler, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi coach Willis Wilson, former Houston and Nevada coach Pat Foster, former Duquesne coach and current United States Merchant Marine Academy coach Danny Nee and Augustana College coach Grey Giovanine.
“But the list is much longer,” a source said. “Lots of coaches had money with him, but they’re going to try to deny it and just hope it doesn’t come out.”
Then again, these are coaches who’ve invested A LOT of money with Salinas. The NCAA might not be as much of a concern as losing their shirt, a la Bernie Madoff. But it really could be a big deal. John Infante, who writes the highly respected Bylaw Blog, had this tweet Sunday night.
Sounds as if those coaches should be worried about their money and their jobs.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 1
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss 3
- Michigan’s process of adjusting to key personnel losses hasn’t been a smooth one 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Georgetown discusses becoming first college basketball team to wear ‘I Can’t Breathe’ T-shirts (PHOTO) (9)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)