Jul 18, 2011, 3:57 PM EDT
Nine months after a report surfaced that a menacing text by Baylor assistant Mark Morefield helped spark an investigation into the program, the school announced that he resigned to “pursue other basketball opportunities.”
As Jeff Goodman notes, Morefield’s text last year to the coach of potential recruit Hanner Perea – “”I guarantee u if he does [commit to another school] he will be in Colombia for the spring and summer and next year. Don’t forget it” – was more than an embarrassment to the school. It landed Scott Drew’s program in hot water by the NCAA.
Perea, a Colombia native, eventually committed to Indiana. Guess the text didn’t work.
I’m sure Baylor’s happy to have alum Grant McCasland on board in Morefield’s place. But the odds of Morefield simply deciding to pursue other jobs – while Baylor’s still awaiting work from the NCAA probe – in the middle of summer doesn’t fly.
But that’s how the game’s played.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 1
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 4
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (14)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (4)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy