Aug 24, 2011, 8:34 PM EDT
Delonte West is Maryland’s highest-paid assistant. But he’s not the Terps’ most valuable asset beyond head coach Mark Turgeon. He’s also not the highest paid.
That’d be Gary Williams. Yes, the same guy who retired in May. He’ll be earning that pay, though.
The Baltimore Sun reports Williams is now an “ambassador” and high-level closer” whose job is to woo prospective big donors. The school’s eager pay off existing debt and convince people to give big bucks in a soft economy, so Williams’ role is clear – work wonders off the court as well.
For this, he’s paid $400,000 a year.
If he’s successful, I’d say Williams will probably be underpaid. The best way to repay him would be naming the floor at the Comcast Center after him. Apparently that’s still not done.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (4)
- The Big Ten is setting records for their revenue (3)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement