Aug 25, 2011, 5:18 PM EST
Bruce Pearl made the media rounds Thursday, a day after learning the NCAA imposed a three-year show cause penalty on the former Tennessee coach. The move effectively bans him from a high-major job until 2014 (though some schools might think otherwise).
And he isn’t happy about it.
“I believe I should have gotten more credit for coming forward and telling the truth,” Pearl told the Knoxville News-Sentinel. “But the damage that was done was too great.”
Pearl won’t appeal the decision. He says he takes “full responsibility” for his actions. Instead, he seems to be hoping the contrition angle will help him for future gigs. But here’s a protip: Don’t piss off the NCAA by making critical comments.
He told the paper that the NCAA’s allegation of major violations was too harsh given that the charge was eventually dismissed. (Lying got him fired and punished, not the cheating.) Even if he’s correct, this probably isn’t the way to go, Bruce.
“The timing of that charge led directly to the termination of my coaching staff,” Pearl told the paper. “Our chancellor and our athletic director went on record as saying that supposed bump violation was the beginning of the end for me.
“I waited a lifetime for a job like Tennessee … It was my hope our staff could have survived.”
Forget the NCAA. You know what would’ve helped you survive, Bruce? Not lying. And not lying some more.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)