Aug 25, 2011, 5:18 PM EDT
Bruce Pearl made the media rounds Thursday, a day after learning the NCAA imposed a three-year show cause penalty on the former Tennessee coach. The move effectively bans him from a high-major job until 2014 (though some schools might think otherwise).
And he isn’t happy about it.
“I believe I should have gotten more credit for coming forward and telling the truth,” Pearl told the Knoxville News-Sentinel. “But the damage that was done was too great.”
Pearl won’t appeal the decision. He says he takes “full responsibility” for his actions. Instead, he seems to be hoping the contrition angle will help him for future gigs. But here’s a protip: Don’t piss off the NCAA by making critical comments.
He told the paper that the NCAA’s allegation of major violations was too harsh given that the charge was eventually dismissed. (Lying got him fired and punished, not the cheating.) Even if he’s correct, this probably isn’t the way to go, Bruce.
“The timing of that charge led directly to the termination of my coaching staff,” Pearl told the paper. “Our chancellor and our athletic director went on record as saying that supposed bump violation was the beginning of the end for me.
“I waited a lifetime for a job like Tennessee … It was my hope our staff could have survived.”
Forget the NCAA. You know what would’ve helped you survive, Bruce? Not lying. And not lying some more.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)