Sep 19, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
Rick Pitino’s seen enough.
Syracuse and Pitt bolted the Big East over the weekend. Connecticut and Rutgers could follow. If the conference is to survive, Louisville’s coach says other schools need to be added ASAP. Like, by Tuesday. Or the Big East might sleep with the fishes.
Any “Godfather” fan knows the reference. It’s fitting given Pitino wrote in his blog that Pitt Chancellor Mark Nordenberg is Tessio.
But Pitino actually had more than insults in his blog. He also offered up suggestions as to whom the Big East should use to convince other schools to come aboard – his own athletic director, Tom Jurich – and who those schools might be.
The Big 12 has to wait and see what Oklahoma does. The BIG EAST must move quickly and secure four football schools to enter ASAP and be ready for two more possible defections.
Central Florida? Is Baylor or Iowa State next? What about Kansas and Kansas State? Personally, I like Memphis being tossed into the mix. Great basketball tradition (much needed with Syracuse and Pitt leaving), but they must guarantee an upgrade of their football program, which is definitely possible.
Even if Louisville, West Virginia, Cincinnati and South Florida stick together, as Pitino hopes, it wouldn’t be a powerhouse conference in football or basketball.
But hey, a decent conference is better than no conference. Even if it doesn’t include an automatic BCS bid.
- Pitino could give a rip about an exhibition in The Bucket
- Summer’s most hilarious recruiting story comes from Pitino
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 5
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- New Mexico, former coach Steve Alford settle buyout dispute 1
- Ben McLemore denies former AAU coach’s allegations 0
- 2014 small forward Jordan Barnett generating buzz in the EYBL 1