Sep 30, 2011, 3:36 PM EST
The First Fan knows North Carolina and Duke are among the teams to beat in 2012. But he’s unwilling to commit to either one right now.
President Obama – he of the multiple public brackets – was able to deflect that possibility during the end of a lengthy interview with Cameron Kent of WXII-TV. Kent only mentioned the Heels and Wake Forest.
Obama? He’s not overlooking Duke.
“Wake Forest has gone through a tough time, but I’m sure they’ll come back,” he said. “Right now, it looks like both Duke and Carolina are going to have a great team.
“I’m going to have to look at ‘em a little more carefully during the preseason — during the early-season tournaments — before I actually make my picks, but those two teams are going to be in the top 10 I suspect.”
You suspect? Oh, c’mon. That is blatant hedging. Everyone who’s paid any kind of attention to college hoops this offseason knows both of ‘em are likely Top 5 teams and the Heels are the team to beat.
Then again, President Obama has been a little busy to follow the hoops news …
(Thanks to Diamond Leung)
- McDonald’s injury an important factor to UNC’s season
- Coach K eyeing Seth Curry as Duke’s on-court leader
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 1
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)