Sep 30, 2011, 3:36 PM EDT
The First Fan knows North Carolina and Duke are among the teams to beat in 2012. But he’s unwilling to commit to either one right now.
President Obama – he of the multiple public brackets – was able to deflect that possibility during the end of a lengthy interview with Cameron Kent of WXII-TV. Kent only mentioned the Heels and Wake Forest.
Obama? He’s not overlooking Duke.
“Wake Forest has gone through a tough time, but I’m sure they’ll come back,” he said. “Right now, it looks like both Duke and Carolina are going to have a great team.
“I’m going to have to look at ‘em a little more carefully during the preseason — during the early-season tournaments — before I actually make my picks, but those two teams are going to be in the top 10 I suspect.”
You suspect? Oh, c’mon. That is blatant hedging. Everyone who’s paid any kind of attention to college hoops this offseason knows both of ‘em are likely Top 5 teams and the Heels are the team to beat.
Then again, President Obama has been a little busy to follow the hoops news …
(Thanks to Diamond Leung)
- McDonald’s injury an important factor to UNC’s season
- Coach K eyeing Seth Curry as Duke’s on-court leader
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Next college hoops season will begin and end in Texas 0
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 5
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (5)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (4)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona