Sep 30, 2011, 3:36 PM EDT
The First Fan knows North Carolina and Duke are among the teams to beat in 2012. But he’s unwilling to commit to either one right now.
President Obama – he of the multiple public brackets – was able to deflect that possibility during the end of a lengthy interview with Cameron Kent of WXII-TV. Kent only mentioned the Heels and Wake Forest.
Obama? He’s not overlooking Duke.
“Wake Forest has gone through a tough time, but I’m sure they’ll come back,” he said. “Right now, it looks like both Duke and Carolina are going to have a great team.
“I’m going to have to look at ’em a little more carefully during the preseason — during the early-season tournaments — before I actually make my picks, but those two teams are going to be in the top 10 I suspect.”
You suspect? Oh, c’mon. That is blatant hedging. Everyone who’s paid any kind of attention to college hoops this offseason knows both of ‘em are likely Top 5 teams and the Heels are the team to beat.
Then again, President Obama has been a little busy to follow the hoops news …
(Thanks to Diamond Leung)
- McDonald’s injury an important factor to UNC’s season
- Coach K eyeing Seth Curry as Duke’s on-court leader
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)