Sep 30, 2011, 3:36 PM EST
The First Fan knows North Carolina and Duke are among the teams to beat in 2012. But he’s unwilling to commit to either one right now.
President Obama – he of the multiple public brackets – was able to deflect that possibility during the end of a lengthy interview with Cameron Kent of WXII-TV. Kent only mentioned the Heels and Wake Forest.
Obama? He’s not overlooking Duke.
“Wake Forest has gone through a tough time, but I’m sure they’ll come back,” he said. “Right now, it looks like both Duke and Carolina are going to have a great team.
“I’m going to have to look at ‘em a little more carefully during the preseason — during the early-season tournaments — before I actually make my picks, but those two teams are going to be in the top 10 I suspect.”
You suspect? Oh, c’mon. That is blatant hedging. Everyone who’s paid any kind of attention to college hoops this offseason knows both of ‘em are likely Top 5 teams and the Heels are the team to beat.
Then again, President Obama has been a little busy to follow the hoops news …
(Thanks to Diamond Leung)
- McDonald’s injury an important factor to UNC’s season
- Coach K eyeing Seth Curry as Duke’s on-court leader
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Harvard wraps up third consecutive NCAA tournament berth (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend Preview: The regular season comes to a close 1
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 4
- Senior starters once again carry No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing most important part: His One Shining Moment 0
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 0
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 1
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)