Sep 30, 2011, 3:36 PM EST
The First Fan knows North Carolina and Duke are among the teams to beat in 2012. But he’s unwilling to commit to either one right now.
President Obama – he of the multiple public brackets – was able to deflect that possibility during the end of a lengthy interview with Cameron Kent of WXII-TV. Kent only mentioned the Heels and Wake Forest.
Obama? He’s not overlooking Duke.
“Wake Forest has gone through a tough time, but I’m sure they’ll come back,” he said. “Right now, it looks like both Duke and Carolina are going to have a great team.
“I’m going to have to look at ‘em a little more carefully during the preseason — during the early-season tournaments — before I actually make my picks, but those two teams are going to be in the top 10 I suspect.”
You suspect? Oh, c’mon. That is blatant hedging. Everyone who’s paid any kind of attention to college hoops this offseason knows both of ‘em are likely Top 5 teams and the Heels are the team to beat.
Then again, President Obama has been a little busy to follow the hoops news …
(Thanks to Diamond Leung)
- McDonald’s injury an important factor to UNC’s season
- Coach K eyeing Seth Curry as Duke’s on-court leader
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (11)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (10)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)