Oct 2, 2011, 11:21 PM EDT
Rodney Purvis delighted N.C. State by choosing the local school on Friday afternoon. Sounds like Raleigh’s latest hoops star likes the move as well.
The North Carolina prospect has previously committed to Louisville, but re-opened his recruitment in May when assistant Tim Fuller took a job at Missouri. That gave the Wolfpack and new coach Mark Gottfried a chance to snag a high-profile – and much-needed – point guard of the future.
And when Purvis needed a little advice beyond his family and coaches? He turned to another point guard: John Wall. Wall, who played high school ball in Raleigh, told the News & Observer that he was usually just a text message away from Purvis.
That didn’t mean pushing Purvis toward Kentucky, where Wall played one season and was an All-American. It meant getting Purvis to focus on what he wanted.
“I told him to make his own decision,” he told the paper. “He had the schools he wanted to and thought that was the best opportunity for him to stay at home, and there’s nothing wrong with that. He’s going to have a lot of fan and family support, and that’s the main thing.”
Know what else he’ll have? Loads of fan support and a psyched coaching staff.
After Torian Graham de-committed in August, N.C. State needed a player to help him sell his program on other recruits. After years of Sidney Lowe and mediocrity, that’s not an easy thing. Gottfried’s willing to do anything to pump up the Wolfpack’s brand – including jumping out of a plane – but snagging a Top 20 recruit is better.
“It’s a challenge that I enjoy, understanding where we are, being realistic and honest with where we are. That’s No. 1. And then, where we want to be,” he told the News & Observer.
Next up? Actually finishing in the top half of the ACC. Well, maybe that’ll have to wait until Purvis arrives in 2012.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)