Oct 2, 2011, 11:21 PM EDT
Rodney Purvis delighted N.C. State by choosing the local school on Friday afternoon. Sounds like Raleigh’s latest hoops star likes the move as well.
The North Carolina prospect has previously committed to Louisville, but re-opened his recruitment in May when assistant Tim Fuller took a job at Missouri. That gave the Wolfpack and new coach Mark Gottfried a chance to snag a high-profile – and much-needed – point guard of the future.
And when Purvis needed a little advice beyond his family and coaches? He turned to another point guard: John Wall. Wall, who played high school ball in Raleigh, told the News & Observer that he was usually just a text message away from Purvis.
That didn’t mean pushing Purvis toward Kentucky, where Wall played one season and was an All-American. It meant getting Purvis to focus on what he wanted.
“I told him to make his own decision,” he told the paper. “He had the schools he wanted to and thought that was the best opportunity for him to stay at home, and there’s nothing wrong with that. He’s going to have a lot of fan and family support, and that’s the main thing.”
Know what else he’ll have? Loads of fan support and a psyched coaching staff.
After Torian Graham de-committed in August, N.C. State needed a player to help him sell his program on other recruits. After years of Sidney Lowe and mediocrity, that’s not an easy thing. Gottfried’s willing to do anything to pump up the Wolfpack’s brand – including jumping out of a plane – but snagging a Top 20 recruit is better.
“It’s a challenge that I enjoy, understanding where we are, being realistic and honest with where we are. That’s No. 1. And then, where we want to be,” he told the News & Observer.
Next up? Actually finishing in the top half of the ACC. Well, maybe that’ll have to wait until Purvis arrives in 2012.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 1
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)