Oct 2, 2011, 11:21 PM EST
Rodney Purvis delighted N.C. State by choosing the local school on Friday afternoon. Sounds like Raleigh’s latest hoops star likes the move as well.
The North Carolina prospect has previously committed to Louisville, but re-opened his recruitment in May when assistant Tim Fuller took a job at Missouri. That gave the Wolfpack and new coach Mark Gottfried a chance to snag a high-profile – and much-needed – point guard of the future.
And when Purvis needed a little advice beyond his family and coaches? He turned to another point guard: John Wall. Wall, who played high school ball in Raleigh, told the News & Observer that he was usually just a text message away from Purvis.
That didn’t mean pushing Purvis toward Kentucky, where Wall played one season and was an All-American. It meant getting Purvis to focus on what he wanted.
“I told him to make his own decision,” he told the paper. “He had the schools he wanted to and thought that was the best opportunity for him to stay at home, and there’s nothing wrong with that. He’s going to have a lot of fan and family support, and that’s the main thing.”
Know what else he’ll have? Loads of fan support and a psyched coaching staff.
After Torian Graham de-committed in August, N.C. State needed a player to help him sell his program on other recruits. After years of Sidney Lowe and mediocrity, that’s not an easy thing. Gottfried’s willing to do anything to pump up the Wolfpack’s brand – including jumping out of a plane – but snagging a Top 20 recruit is better.
“It’s a challenge that I enjoy, understanding where we are, being realistic and honest with where we are. That’s No. 1. And then, where we want to be,” he told the News & Observer.
Next up? Actually finishing in the top half of the ACC. Well, maybe that’ll have to wait until Purvis arrives in 2012.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 2
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)