Oct 4, 2011, 3:29 PM EDT
Jim Calhoun isn’t the only one tossing barbs Rick Pitino’s way. But Louisville’s coach probably expected this one, even if was a little more subtle than Calhoun’s dig.
Kentucky coach John Calipari visited the hundreds of Wildcats camping out for Big Blue Madness tickets last week, doling out his usual complements for their fandom and devotion to Kentucky hoops. Normal stuff, right?
Well, he during an interview with Kentucky Sports Radio, he didn’t miss a chance to offer a jab Louisville’s way. Have a listen.
In case your geography is rusty, Louisville is indeed in the state of Kentucky. (Not to mention proud hoops programs like Morehead State, Murray State and Western Kentucky.) Here’s the quote, transcribed by Mike Rutherford of Card Chronicle:
“It’s a unique thing,” Calipari said. “There’s no other state, none, that’s as connected to their basketball program as this one. Because those other states have other programs. Michigan has Michigan State, California has UCLA, North Carolina has Duke. It’s Kentucky throughout this whole state, and that’s what makes us unique.”
Calipari rarely misses a chance at something like this. This veiled shot at Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski was the same thing, though it relied on fans with a knowledge of recent news, not basic geography.
Was it a cheap shot? Sure. But even Louisville fans can appreciate the moxie and the humor. If we’re lucky, it won’t be the last one either. That Dec. 31 showdown is still a long ways off.
- Per usual, Kentucky fans go nuts for their ‘Cats
- Pitino could give a rip about Kentucky’s exhibition in The Bucket
- Midnight Madness at Kentucky apparently the place to be
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 10
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- New Mexico, former coach Steve Alford settle buyout dispute 1
- Ben McLemore denies former AAU coach’s allegations 0
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot