Oct 12, 2011, 12:45 PM EDT
Midnight Madness is Friday. So we’re kicking off our college basketball coverage with our men’s preseason Top 25. Look for five teams posted a day, all this week.
2010-11 record: 25-10 (10-6), 3rd in Conference USA
Lost in NCAA tournament first round
Coach: Josh Pastner, 49-20, 2nd year
Last NCAA miss: 2010
The good: Youth didn’t always serve Memphis well last season. That’ll change in 2012.
The Tigers’ anemic offense and average defense can only get better since nearly everyone is returning and since nearly everyone has pro potential and since they add yet another star player in Memphis native Adonis Thomas, things can only get better.
Maybe Memphis isn’t back to the point before John Calipari left, but it’s getting closer.
The bad: Did I mention the offense?
The Tigers didn’t even score a point per possession during Conference USA play. How it’s possible to do that and win the automatic berth to the NCAA tournament speaks to the Tigers’ talent. But unless the 3-point shooting, free-throw shooting, turnovers and poor inside play improve, the offense will prevent Memphis from becoming a Top 10 team.
Sure, the defense could become silly good again, but that’s asking a lot of a group that fouls a lot and is mediocre on the defensive glass.
The unknown: Bob Knight would hate this team. Hate, hate, hate. Thankfully, Pastner’s the coach. And it’s important to remember that he’s still learning about how to coach. Recruiting, he can handle. But the teaching’s tougher, especially when you have a young staff around you.
But Pastner’s too smart to let the offense flounder again and to not get the most out of his players. Memphis will win games and get to the dance. It’s just a matter of how far it goes.
Counting down the preseason Top 25
- No. 15: Kansas Jayhawks
- No. 16: Xavier Musketeers
- No. 17: Texas A&M Aggies
- No. 18: Florida Gators
- No. 19: Michigan Wolverines
- No. 20: Marquette Golden Eagles
- No. 21: Temple Owls
- No. 22: New Mexico Lobos
- No. 23 Belmont Bruins
- No. 24: Alabama Crimson Tide
- No. 25: Creighton Bluejays
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 1
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 3
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights