Oct 13, 2011, 11:10 PM EDT
Jared Sullinger showed he was a man of his word months ago. Maybe that’s why it’s hardly a surprise he was dedicated enough to lose 20 pounds over the summer.
The Ohio State sophomore showed off his “trimmer” build at the team’s media day on Thursday. I say “trimmer” because he still weighs a sizable 265 pounds in double digits for body fat. But compared to last year’s media day when he was 285 pounds had 16.7 percent body fat, he’s almost John Henson.
With less weight to lug around, Sullinger says he’s more mobile and better equipped to handle double teams. No more plodding.
Expect to see him off the blocks and even taking 15-foot jumpers. Teammates say Sullinger’s doing that in practice and is tougher to guard.
He might even finish off a fast break or two. He apparently caught a pass at the free-throw line and stepped into the lane for a dunk.
“Every morning I wake up, I see it. It’s my motivator for the day,” he said.
Maybe Sullinger should market that as a weight-loss plan. It’d probably work for Carolina fans, too.
- Sullinger’s new diet? More greens and no fast food
- Is a trimmer, slimmer Sullinger good for the Buckeyes?
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)