Oct 13, 2011, 11:10 PM EDT
Jared Sullinger showed he was a man of his word months ago. Maybe that’s why it’s hardly a surprise he was dedicated enough to lose 20 pounds over the summer.
The Ohio State sophomore showed off his “trimmer” build at the team’s media day on Thursday. I say “trimmer” because he still weighs a sizable 265 pounds in double digits for body fat. But compared to last year’s media day when he was 285 pounds had 16.7 percent body fat, he’s almost John Henson.
With less weight to lug around, Sullinger says he’s more mobile and better equipped to handle double teams. No more plodding.
Expect to see him off the blocks and even taking 15-foot jumpers. Teammates say Sullinger’s doing that in practice and is tougher to guard.
He might even finish off a fast break or two. He apparently caught a pass at the free-throw line and stepped into the lane for a dunk.
“Every morning I wake up, I see it. It’s my motivator for the day,” he said.
Maybe Sullinger should market that as a weight-loss plan. It’d probably work for Carolina fans, too.
- Sullinger’s new diet? More greens and no fast food
- Is a trimmer, slimmer Sullinger good for the Buckeyes?
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)