Oct 13, 2011, 11:10 PM EDT
Jared Sullinger showed he was a man of his word months ago. Maybe that’s why it’s hardly a surprise he was dedicated enough to lose 20 pounds over the summer.
The Ohio State sophomore showed off his “trimmer” build at the team’s media day on Thursday. I say “trimmer” because he still weighs a sizable 265 pounds in double digits for body fat. But compared to last year’s media day when he was 285 pounds had 16.7 percent body fat, he’s almost John Henson.
With less weight to lug around, Sullinger says he’s more mobile and better equipped to handle double teams. No more plodding.
Expect to see him off the blocks and even taking 15-foot jumpers. Teammates say Sullinger’s doing that in practice and is tougher to guard.
He might even finish off a fast break or two. He apparently caught a pass at the free-throw line and stepped into the lane for a dunk.
“Every morning I wake up, I see it. It’s my motivator for the day,” he said.
Maybe Sullinger should market that as a weight-loss plan. It’d probably work for Carolina fans, too.
- Sullinger’s new diet? More greens and no fast food
- Is a trimmer, slimmer Sullinger good for the Buckeyes?
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)