Oct 13, 2011, 11:10 PM EDT
Jared Sullinger showed he was a man of his word months ago. Maybe that’s why it’s hardly a surprise he was dedicated enough to lose 20 pounds over the summer.
The Ohio State sophomore showed off his “trimmer” build at the team’s media day on Thursday. I say “trimmer” because he still weighs a sizable 265 pounds in double digits for body fat. But compared to last year’s media day when he was 285 pounds had 16.7 percent body fat, he’s almost John Henson.
With less weight to lug around, Sullinger says he’s more mobile and better equipped to handle double teams. No more plodding.
Expect to see him off the blocks and even taking 15-foot jumpers. Teammates say Sullinger’s doing that in practice and is tougher to guard.
He might even finish off a fast break or two. He apparently caught a pass at the free-throw line and stepped into the lane for a dunk.
“Every morning I wake up, I see it. It’s my motivator for the day,” he said.
Maybe Sullinger should market that as a weight-loss plan. It’d probably work for Carolina fans, too.
- Sullinger’s new diet? More greens and no fast food
- Is a trimmer, slimmer Sullinger good for the Buckeyes?
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (3)