Oct 13, 2011, 11:10 PM EDT
Jared Sullinger showed he was a man of his word months ago. Maybe that’s why it’s hardly a surprise he was dedicated enough to lose 20 pounds over the summer.
The Ohio State sophomore showed off his “trimmer” build at the team’s media day on Thursday. I say “trimmer” because he still weighs a sizable 265 pounds in double digits for body fat. But compared to last year’s media day when he was 285 pounds had 16.7 percent body fat, he’s almost John Henson.
With less weight to lug around, Sullinger says he’s more mobile and better equipped to handle double teams. No more plodding.
Expect to see him off the blocks and even taking 15-foot jumpers. Teammates say Sullinger’s doing that in practice and is tougher to guard.
He might even finish off a fast break or two. He apparently caught a pass at the free-throw line and stepped into the lane for a dunk.
“Every morning I wake up, I see it. It’s my motivator for the day,” he said.
Maybe Sullinger should market that as a weight-loss plan. It’d probably work for Carolina fans, too.
- Sullinger’s new diet? More greens and no fast food
- Is a trimmer, slimmer Sullinger good for the Buckeyes?
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- AAU Nationals Friday Recap: Event moves to Louisville, Bruce Brown plays well, Noah Dickerson updates recruitment 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 3
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)