Oct 25, 2011, 5:19 PM EST
Calipari lauded the 6-9 sophomore Tuesday, telling local media that Jones’ work ethic finally matches his immense talent. He’s now the first guy in the gym, he stays late and he spent the summer improving his game.
Jones, according to Calipari, might be the game’s best player.
“If there’s a better player in the country, I gotta see him. Maybe that guy’s in our gym, I don’t know. If there is somebody better than Terrence, I gotta see,” Calipari said. “His focus on basketball compared to what it was last year is not even close.”
Calipari – who noted Jones’ improved ball-handling, shooting and conditioning — expects Jones’ extra work and dedication to result in a Josh Harrellson-esque jump, which would be nothing short of spectacular. Jones was already one of the game’s elite players as a freshman. If he improves as much as Harrellson did, we’ll see a transcendent player.
That’s a scary thought for Kentucky foes.
It may not result in a massive stat bump, though. Kentucky’s got plenty of talent and Calipari says everyone’s upping their game, especially senior Darius Miller and freshman Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, who “try to kill each other” during practice.
The result? “Darius has never been better,” Calipari says.
Hey, Calipari even lauded Eloy Vargas, a 6-11 senior who wasn’t good for much last season other than giving Harrellson the occasional breather.
Much of this no doubt counts as coach-speak and early season lauding designed to boost his guys’ confidence and encourage fans. But if half of what Calipari says is true, then that Dec. 3 game against North Carolina went from must-see TV to essential viewing for any sports fan.
- Kentucky’s No. 2 in our preseason Top 25
- Why can’t freshmen win a national title?
- Marquis Teague’s ready for the pressure at Kentucky
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)