Oct 30, 2011, 6:24 PM EDT
The Cardinals spent last season adjusting to various injuries to nearly the entire roster, the most notable being starting forward Jared Swopshire, who sat out the whole year. The result was an overachieving season (25-10, 13-6 in Big East), but a tough ending.
Is 2011-12 more of the same?
Prize recruit Wayne Blackshear – who was expected to start on the wing – will miss the season due to a torn labrum. Forward Rakeem Buckles – another likely starter – is still rehabbing from a torn ACL and won’t be ready until mid-December at the earliest.
Throw in nagging injuries to three other players and a still-recovering Swopshire and Louisville’s essentially back to where it was last season – solid in its starting five, but without much depth.
“That starting five, they’re ready to go, especially at the offensive standpoint,” coach Rick Pitino said. “The next five, it’s been very difficult getting them ready.”
Coming on the heels of not receiving a Big 12 invite, Cardinals fans are more than a little miffed at the news. Who wouldn’t?
Blackshear, a 5-star recruit who averaged more than 32 points a game as a high school senior, was the likely candidate to assume some the scoring needed by Preston Knowles’ graduation. Pitino has high praise for one of his other newcomers, freshman Chane Behanon, but the depth has to be an issue.
Until Buckles is back and healthy and Swopshire’s in playing shape, Louisville will probably be over-dependent on guard Peyton Siva and its outside shooters – Kyle Kuric, Chris Smith and Mike Marra. It’s still a squad capable of reaching the Final Four, but their margin for error just got smaller.
- Cardinals are No. 8 in our preseason Top 25
- Pitino forgets his past in favor of questionable analogy
- Big East’s depressing expansion actually makes sense
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 43
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)