Nov 1, 2011, 9:43 PM EDT
Don’t be surprised if Louisville loses its exhibition Thursday to Bellarmine prep. The Cards will be rolling out a M*A*S*H* unit.
Coach Rick Pitino announced Tuesday that junior point guard Peyton Siva won’t play because of a concussion, while junior wing Mike Marra is out due to a lingering back injury. That leaves Louisville without Siva, Marra, junior forward Stephen Van Treese, junior forward Rakeem Buckles and freshman wing Wayne Blackshear. It’s not their starting five, but it’s close.
HOWEVER. There is a silver lining.
Blackshear, one of two highly touted freshmen on the roster, was supposed to be out for the season because of a torn labrum. But Pitino announced Tuesday that Blackshear’s surgery went well and he could return after 6-8 weeks.
Just like that, the 6-5 wing’s recovery time was cut in half! Modern medicine is a miracle!
(It actually is. Have you seen the stuff they’re doing today? I just hope the sarcasm is evident in this instance relating to Blackshear.)
The spate of new injuries didn’t sit well with Cardinals fans, but the Blackshear news must be a welcome respite. If he’s back for Big East play, that gives Louisville two of the nation’s top 30 freshmen and some much-needed depth. If the concussions stop that is …
- Louisville’s No. 8 in our preseason Top 25
- Louisville gets the good word on Blackshear’s eligibility
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 2
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- New Mexico, former coach Steve Alford settle buyout dispute 1
- Ben McLemore denies former AAU coach’s allegations 0
- 2014 small forward Jordan Barnett generating buzz in the EYBL 1
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- NBA: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit