Nov 13, 2011, 7:03 PM EDT
How about we let senior Lance Goulbourne sum up how No. 7 Vanderbilt played against Cleveland State?
“I’m just embarrassed,” Goulbourne said.
The Commodores had plenty of skeptics entering this season. Not because of their talent (three NBA-caliber players) but because of their decent-to-poor defense and sometimes maddening effort. And that was before Sunday’s 71-58 loss.
It should be noted that Vandy played without center Festus Ezeli, who’s out until at least mid-December. He’s by far their best interior player and one of the SEC’s elite talents. But his absence alone can’t account for the Spiders’ 54.6 eFG% or Vandy’s awful guard play (21 turnovers).
To say coach Kevin Stallings was miffed would be putting it lightly.
“We continually tried to cross the ball over in front of them, and they just continually kept taking it,” Stallings said. “I wish they would have sent us a Federal Express package that said, ‘We are going to take your ball if you cross it over in front of us because we’re good.’ Apparently we didn’t get the memo because we kept doing it. I really liked how they played.”
The loss won’t sink Vandy’s season or do much in terms of NCAA tourney seeding. But it sure kills their reputation, though the first-round NCAA tourney losses the last two years haven’t helped either.
Call it one of those games when Cleveland State brought it (See: Syracuse in 2008) and Vandy didn’t.
“I was very impressed with them and very disappointed in us,” Vanderbilt coach Kevin Stallings said. “I would say it’s right in there about equally really impressed and really disturbed.”
- SEC preview: Can Commodores catch ‘Cats?
- Vandy without Ezeli until at least December
- US Open was must-see TV for Vandy’s Goulbourne
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Communication plays vital role in development of Marquette’s Vander Blue 0
- This week is a very important week for Ed O’Bannon’s case against the NCAA 0
- A broken foot failed to derail C.J. McCollum’s trek to the lottery 0
- The most important skill Michael Carter-Williams learned as a freshman? Work ethic 0
- Aaron Gordon: ‘Whatever Coach Miller wants me to play, I’ll play it.’ 0
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead