Nov 15, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
It was just after 10 p.m. PT Monday night that Kevin Pangos started trending on Twitter. No surprise there. Twitter loves guys who can shoot the 3.
Last year was all about Jimmer Fredette and his ridiculous shooting skills. He has a worthy successor in the Gonzaga freshman, who hit 9 of 13 beyond the arc in the Zags’ thrilling win over Washington State. Watching him tie Dan Dickau’s school record – and seeing the Cougars stage a late rally — was the perfect way to open the 24-hour college hoops marathon and have people tweet their delight.
Sticking with the Jimmer theme, Pangos also displayed a little humility about his performance.
“I was just feeling it and got some open looks,” he said.
Gonzaga coach Mark Few wasn’t having it. Not with this future star.
“That’s not a fluke,” Few said. “Anytime he shoots it, it’s a pretty good thing for us. He’s got to realize that’s his role for us.”
Shouldn’t be hard. Gonzaga’s frontcourt stars, Robert Sacre and Elias Harris, are the perfect pair to attract defensive attention away from Pangos on the perimeter. It worked most of Monday night as Wazzu never paid close attention. He had 18 points by halftime, all on 3s. Might be the last time he sees that many open looks, though.
He finished with 33 points and more than a few highlights. When Hawaii plays Gonzaga on Saturday, I’m guessing the Warriors will pay more than cursory attention to Pangos.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- This week is a very important week for Ed O’Bannon’s case against the NCAA 0
- A broken foot failed to derail C.J. McCollum’s trek to the lottery 0
- The most important skill Michael Carter-Williams learned as a freshman? Work ethic 0
- Aaron Gordon: ‘Whatever Coach Miller wants me to play, I’ll play it.’ 0
- Bruce Pearl could have starred in Welcome Back, Kotter in the 1970s 0
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL