Nov 16, 2011, 3:32 PM EDT
Mike Krzyzewski’s record-setting 903rd career victory produced plenty of content, much of it outstanding. Though it was just as notable for the one thing it lacked.
First, the good stuff.
Coach K’s ability to adapt to players and a changing hoops landscape was rightly cited as one of the primary reasons for his amazing success through the years.
As Mike DeCourcy noted, the 74-69 win against Michigan State wasn’t perfect, but did produce a moving result. That happens when many of your former players are on hand to cheer.
Some props should be given to former Duke AD Tom Butters, who made the call on Coach K when many might have passed. They certainly would today.
The best of the stories, this Seth Davis story about the complicated relationship between Coach K and Knight, only focused on 903 in passing. Forget the game. The history between these two a fascinating study of egos, apologies and the need for a father figure. This Grantland story also touched on that prickly pair, with equally pleasing results.
And last, but not least, was this impressive page of stats related to Coach K, the record, Duke and pretty much everything else you might find interesting.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
So what was missing?
I didn’t see much talk about Krzyzewski’s place as perhaps the best coach in college basketball history. Maybe that’s coming for the day when he retires or wins another NCAA tournament. Or maybe people just wanted to focus on 903.
Whatever the reason, I’m glad for it. A “greatest” discussion takes the focus off Coach K and places it on the other coaching luminaries, which is fodder for talk radio on a day that should belong to the Duke coach.
But … for those so inclined, here are two things for the “greatest” discussion: Coach K’s place among all sports coaches and hoops coaches. Argue away.
- Coach K’s 903rd isn’t crowning achievement of his career
- Krzyzewski’s 903rd’ victory, in photos
- Nobody’s passing Coach K’s record
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 1
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)