Nov 26, 2011, 2:49 PM EDT
The NBA’s millionaires and billionaires finally agreed to start making money again. It probably won’t officially happen until Christmas Day, which leaves college basketball as the only hoops attention for the next month. (Small cheer.)
I can hear it now? “And? What’s this mean for me, Mike? Can you leave me alone while I watch Florida State and UConn?”
Well, sometime between now and then, those millionaires and billionaires also will agree on what to do about the NBA draft’s minimum-age rule.
See, right now there’s an initial agreement. Plenty of things are still on the table, including the age rule. Here’s the latest from ProBasketballTalk:
In early proposals the owners wanted to move it to age 20 — essentially two-and-dones. The players have said this is something they want to see moved back to age 18. Expect this to move to 20 or stay the same — this is a more important issue for owners. They do not want to go back to scouting high school players again, both for the expense of it and the unpredictability of the picks. The owners like the idea of more college ball during which time players can be evaluated, plus the NCAA hype machine can already start turning them into stars fans want to follow. Both good things for the owners. Which is why they want this more than the players want the issue moved back to age 18.
At worst, it’s a status quo of guys like John Wall and Kyrie Irving playing one season, then taking off. (Some say that’s the more likely scenario.) At best, it’ll be more of what we’ve seen this season where the game’s best players like Harrison Barnes, Jared Sullinger, Terrence Jones and Perry Jones are still playing college hoops.
(Of course, those four choose to stay in school, so it’s not quite the same thing. But you get the point.)
It could be settled by Monday. And it might be the first time I’ve ever looked forward to a Monday.
- Top NBA draft producers? They’re the schools you’d expect
- Irving’s March return cemented his one-and-done status
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)