Nov 26, 2011, 3:17 PM EST
Some people crave football (or a nap) after Thanksgiving. The Obamas go for hoops.
President Barack Obama and his family watched Oregon State beat Towson 66-44 on Saturday, making it the third-straight year they’ve watched the Beavers play a D.C.-area team. Last year, Oregon State beat Howard. In 2009, it topped George Washington.
The president and his wife, First Lady Michelle Obama, sat courtside. Their daughters, Malia and Sasha were in the first row of bleachers. (Either floor seats at Towson are a hot ticket or the girls wanted some time away from mom and dad.) The crowd gave them a hearty ovation.
Hey, it’s one of the best ways Michelle can see her brother, Craig, this time of year. He’s now in his fourth season as Oregon State’s coach. He also took his team to the White House on Friday.
This marks the second college hoops game the president and his wife will have seen this season. They also attended the Carrier Classic on Nov. 12.
This one doesn’t have the same marquee teams, but it’s not without its appeal. Fairly certain the Obamas saw at least one jaw-dropping dunk by Jared Cunningham. That alone will made the game worthwhile.
“This is my third time doing it and it’s always a great feeling having the president come to watch your game,” said Cunningham, Oregon State’s junior guard, told the AP. “Other teams are always going to play their hardest because it’s on their home court. We did a good job tonight.”
Of course, so does getting a chance to chat with Bill Murray. His son, Luke, is a Towson assistant.
Mostly, it sounds like a tradition I can get behind. Who needs college football or the NFL when there are random college hoops matchups to enjoy. Bring on Gonzaga-Western Michigan!
- Charles’ famous dunk even ‘thrilled’ Obama
- The Carrier Classic, in photos
- Obama eyeing North Carolina and Duke as title picks
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)