Nov 29, 2011, 8:47 PM EDT
North Carolina’s loss Saturday wasn’t the only thing aggravating coach Roy Williams. He’s also mighty miffed at the UNC booster who sold his tickets to a few UNLV fans.
And Williams is now looking for them.
Here’s the deal: Some Carolina fans are part of the Rams Club, which makes it easier to obtain tickets for various road games, among other things. Yet some of them apparently didn’t want to make the trip to Las Vegas (or got too busy at the tables), so they sold the tickets.
And as Robbi Pickeral notes, one of those fans was sitting next to one of the Tar Heel coaches’ wives and was vocal enough that one coach said something to the UNLV fan. That prompted this screed during Williams’ radio show:
“For some of our fans to … get tickets through the Rams Club, and sell their tickets to UNLV boosters that are sitting right behind our families, I don’t like that,’’ he said. “And if the shoe fits, wear it. I don’t care who it is, and I’ll tell the sucker face-to-face: I do not like that, will not like that, don’t ever forget it. I’m trying to find out who it was.”
This kind of statement isn’t new for Williams. A few years ago, a fan was tossed during a North Carolina-Presbyterian game for something similar.
Williams did note that most fans were excellent. But that area behind the UNC bench – a spot usually reserved for families and die-hard fans – is sacred to Williams.
“If you sell our tickets, your tickets that you get to the Rams Club to somebody else, and they come in cheering for UNLV, I’ve got no use for you,’’ Williams said. “And that’s as blunt as I can put it.”
- Fan booted for heckling UNC player
- UNC’s loss highlights serious flaw in its game
- Viewer’s guide to ACC/Big Ten Challenge
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Report: Rutgers AD inflicted “mental cruelty” in her own coaching days 0
- Next college hoops season will begin and end in Texas 0
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 5
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (5)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (4)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?