Nov 29, 2011, 8:47 PM EDT
North Carolina’s loss Saturday wasn’t the only thing aggravating coach Roy Williams. He’s also mighty miffed at the UNC booster who sold his tickets to a few UNLV fans.
And Williams is now looking for them.
Here’s the deal: Some Carolina fans are part of the Rams Club, which makes it easier to obtain tickets for various road games, among other things. Yet some of them apparently didn’t want to make the trip to Las Vegas (or got too busy at the tables), so they sold the tickets.
And as Robbi Pickeral notes, one of those fans was sitting next to one of the Tar Heel coaches’ wives and was vocal enough that one coach said something to the UNLV fan. That prompted this screed during Williams’ radio show:
“For some of our fans to … get tickets through the Rams Club, and sell their tickets to UNLV boosters that are sitting right behind our families, I don’t like that,’’ he said. “And if the shoe fits, wear it. I don’t care who it is, and I’ll tell the sucker face-to-face: I do not like that, will not like that, don’t ever forget it. I’m trying to find out who it was.”
This kind of statement isn’t new for Williams. A few years ago, a fan was tossed during a North Carolina-Presbyterian game for something similar.
Williams did note that most fans were excellent. But that area behind the UNC bench – a spot usually reserved for families and die-hard fans – is sacred to Williams.
“If you sell our tickets, your tickets that you get to the Rams Club to somebody else, and they come in cheering for UNLV, I’ve got no use for you,’’ Williams said. “And that’s as blunt as I can put it.”
- Fan booted for heckling UNC player
- UNC’s loss highlights serious flaw in its game
- Viewer’s guide to ACC/Big Ten Challenge
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Report: Devonta Pollard no longer enrolled at Alabama 0
- Communication plays vital role in development of Marquette’s Vander Blue 0
- This week is a very important week for Ed O’Bannon’s case against the NCAA 0
- A broken foot failed to derail C.J. McCollum’s trek to the lottery 0
- The most important skill Michael Carter-Williams learned as a freshman? Work ethic 0
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming