Dec 12, 2011, 3:46 PM EDT
Indiana’s 73-72 win Saturday against No. 1 Kentucky was hardly just a delight for the Hoosiers or coach Tom Crean.
Consider it a victory for most of the state.
Crean’s spent the last four years rebuilding the Hoosiers from scratch, a result of NCAA sanctions from Kelvin Sampson’s firing back in 2008. When one of college basketball’s most storied programs wins just 28 games total in the past three seasons, well, something a win against the top team (and a rival, to boot) resonates with fans.
Example A? This video from Nick’s English Hut in Bloomington which has been making the rounds today. It starts just before Christian Watford hit his game-winning 3-pointer as time expired.
If that’s not enough, check out this photo gallery.
Yes, it’s December. Yes, it’s just one game. But the Hoosiers are 8-0, ranked for the first time since 2007-08 and will seemingly make a run at the Big Ten title. Life is good in Bloomington and the state of Indiana.
- Win over Kentucky (finally) makes Tom Crean toast of Indiana
- Is Indiana most likely unbeaten to run the table?
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- This week is a very important week for Ed O’Bannon’s case against the NCAA 0
- A broken foot failed to derail C.J. McCollum’s trek to the lottery 0
- The most important skill Michael Carter-Williams learned as a freshman? Work ethic 0
- Aaron Gordon: ‘Whatever Coach Miller wants me to play, I’ll play it.’ 0
- Bruce Pearl could have starred in Welcome Back, Kotter in the 1970s 0
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires