Dec 14, 2011, 1:15 PM EDT
Butler’s already adding one deadeye shooter to its roster next season in Rotnei Clarke. But the thought of bolstering Clarke’s presence with a Steve Alford-esque player is downright scary. For Bulldogs opponents anyway.
Kellen Dunham, a 6-5 sharpshooter from Pendleton, Ind., isn’t as highly touted as Alford was coming out of school (the former Hoosiers star was Mr. Basketball and averaged 37 points a game as a senior), but his coach, Brian Hahn, says Dunham’s shooting stroke is reminiscent of Alford.
This story by David Woods of the Indianapolis Star provides an interesting rundown of Dunham’s skills, attitude and his senior season at Pendelton. Bulldogs fans – who’ve watched their team go 4-6 this season, with three more brutal games on the horizon – probably wish Dunham were on the roster this season, but the story should provide plenty of smiles.
Dunham looks skinny from a distance but more muscular up close. Hahn said Dunham has ample room for strength and weight gains, and that Dunham “has worked extraordinarily” hard on weightlifting. Dunham said Butler coach Brad Stevens has a training plan for him after the high school season ends.
Hahn said Dunham has practiced shooting from a variety of positions and distances, and in taking the ball to the basket. The teenager has also worked to improve quickness and footwork.
“Those two things together allow him to be more explosive than people think,” Hahn said.
Dunham was in Hinkle Fieldhouse to watch the Bulldogs in their 69-53 loss to now-No. 4 Louisville. He has mingled with his future teammates, some of whom traveled to see him play after a recent Butler game. Dunham said he was “not at all” worried about the 4-6 Bulldogs.
“I’m very confident,” Dunham said. “They always step it up at the end.”
Hey, a vote of confidence from a future teammate! This guy’s gonna be perfect for Stevens’ team. Especially when they find him spotting up for a 3-pointer…
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 9
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- New Mexico, former coach Steve Alford settle buyout dispute 1
- Ben McLemore denies former AAU coach’s allegations 0
- 2014 small forward Jordan Barnett generating buzz in the EYBL 1
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles