Dec 15, 2011, 5:15 PM EDT
A fourth man has accused former Syracuse assistant Bernie Fine of sexual molestation. He’s also the oldest of the accusers.
Floyd VanHooser, 56, told the AP and the Syracuse Post-Standard that Fine began sexually abusing him in 1969, when VanHooser was 14. That’s before Fine, 65, began his coaching career at Syracuse.
VanHooser gave police details on the alleged abuse last month, before Fine was fired. Also, he gave police those details an interviews to the paper and the AP from prison, where he is serving 16 years to life for several burglaries or Syracuse-area homes.
There are far more details on VanHooser’s background and accusations in the Post-Standard story here. But three things are of interest – the length Fine’s alleged sexual behavior and that VanHooser lived with Fine off and on for nearly 40 years.
And that Fine allegedly pressured VanHooser into performing sexual acts this year for money, reportedly for $300. The paper reports that happened last summer at Fine’s on-campus office.
Fine was fired last month by Syracuse. He has denied all the allegations and has not been charged in the case.
- Two men suing Boeheim, Syracuse for defamation
- Fine now faces civil suit from one accuser
- Fine won’t face state charges, but feds a different story
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)