Dec 20, 2011, 11:00 AM EST
Say this for Chane Behanan: He doesn’t lack confidence.
The Louisville freshman served up one of the season’s ready-made sound bites after Saturday’s win against Memphis, which’ll certainly attract attention from in-state rival Kentucky and every Big East team.
Yes, he really did say “We’re the No. 1 team in the country in my eyes. .. We’re going undefeated. Point blank, period.”
Bold talk from a guy averaging less than 10 points a game? Absolutely. The 6-6 wing (who’s posted three double-doubles in 10 games) has shown flashes of living up to that kind of swagger this season, though it wasn’t against Memphis. Still, as Mike Rutherford writes, it’s hard for Louisville fans not to like his confidence and swagger.
Only question is if it’ll end up haunting him. Jeff Eisenberg had a good rundown of guys who’ve made similar predictions and how they fared:
Ex-Oregon standout Malik Hairston famously predicted he would “Carmelo-ize” the Ducks by taking them to the national title as a freshman. Former UCLA stars Jordan Farmar and Arron Afflalo both thought they could lead the Bruins to a Final Four as freshmen only to have that season end with a first-round NCAA loss. And Memphis’ Will Barton guaranteed a national championship to a group of boosters as a freshman but the Tigers barely made the NCAA tournament at all.
Louisville’s talented enough to make the Final Four and maybe even win it all. Unbeaten? Probably not. But I love that Behanan’s thinking big.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)