Dec 26, 2011, 6:15 PM EDT
It used to be Mike Rosario was all Rutgers basketball had. Then he transferred to Florida, Rutgers hired Mike Rice and both parties seemed to benefit.
So when Rosario was set for a Dec. 29 homecoming, the Florida-Rutgers game might’ve been a nice capper for both programs. Or not.
Rosario’s missed the Gators’ last two games and is doubtful for Thursday, the Orlando Sentinel reports.
“I’m concerned from the standpoint that he’s going home and he’s not going to have any rehab for Christmas,” Florida coach Billy Donovan told the paper. “Right now, I would say he’s probably doubtful for Rutgers. That would be my guess just because he’s not gonna be around the medical staff and be able to do treatment and rehab and the things he needs to do. We’re gonna come back and practice on the 26th. We’ll see how he is, but I would be shocked if he plays right now, with the way it is, against Rutgers.”
There’s a complete rundown of Rosario’s backstory and time at Rutgers here from Brendan Prunty.
Rosario was in Jersey City, N.J., for the holiday break, so he’ll technically be at the game, but maybe not play. Maybe that’s for the best. Rutgers is still in the middle of rebuilding and could certainly use Rosario’s talents.
I mean, this is a sure-fire way Rosario doesn’t drop 30 on Rutgers.
- What did Florida need for Christmas?
- Rutgers can thank Dane Smith’s grandma
- Gators need to feed Patric Young
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 3
- Bracketology: Florida in driver’s seat for overall No. 1 seed 3
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans 7
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 0
- Turnovers help Ohio State beat No. 22 Michigan State in regular season finale 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed 10
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 54 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (10)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)