Dec 28, 2011, 4:41 PM EST
Guess who’s poised to dominate the CAA this season? Hint: It’s not George Mason, who’s regressed under Paul Hewitt.
Yep, it’s VCU.
Turns out Shaka Smart’s team – despite losing four starters from last year’s Final Four team – is still dangerous thanks to its aggressive defense, the development of point guard Darius Theus and the superb play of senior Brad Burgess. (Also doesn’t hurt that Smart’s a helluva good coach.)
The Rams are 9-3, but have won six straight, all by double digits. They had some early stumbles against Seton Hall and Georgia Tech, then dropped a close game at Alabama, but beyond those, they’ve emerged as the class of the league.
And it may not be close.
In fact, if not for the out-of-nowhere surprise season of Georgia State – holy Lefty Drisell, check out that record! – it’d probably be a runaway. Maybe George Mason could figure things out and defend its crown, but I’m doubtful. Not with that disjointed offense. (Poor Ryan Pearson.)
But when March rolls around and the Rams are prepping for the CAA tourney, will it be a lose-or-miss-the-Big-Dance event? It’s looking that way.
VCU’s 73rd in RPI and figures to drop when CAA play rolls around. If they beat Akron, Georgia State and George Mason, those could go down as top-100 wins. That’s it. Perhaps they’ll get some credit if they do dominate the CAA, but that’s asking a lot.
But hey, why worry about Shaka’s squad in March, especially in a tournament setting? That’s so 2010.
- VCU can be really good when Burgess plays like a leader
- Shaka Smart knows this season’s a whole new game
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)