Dec 28, 2011, 4:41 PM EDT
Guess who’s poised to dominate the CAA this season? Hint: It’s not George Mason, who’s regressed under Paul Hewitt.
Yep, it’s VCU.
Turns out Shaka Smart’s team – despite losing four starters from last year’s Final Four team – is still dangerous thanks to its aggressive defense, the development of point guard Darius Theus and the superb play of senior Brad Burgess. (Also doesn’t hurt that Smart’s a helluva good coach.)
The Rams are 9-3, but have won six straight, all by double digits. They had some early stumbles against Seton Hall and Georgia Tech, then dropped a close game at Alabama, but beyond those, they’ve emerged as the class of the league.
And it may not be close.
In fact, if not for the out-of-nowhere surprise season of Georgia State – holy Lefty Drisell, check out that record! – it’d probably be a runaway. Maybe George Mason could figure things out and defend its crown, but I’m doubtful. Not with that disjointed offense. (Poor Ryan Pearson.)
But when March rolls around and the Rams are prepping for the CAA tourney, will it be a lose-or-miss-the-Big-Dance event? It’s looking that way.
VCU’s 73rd in RPI and figures to drop when CAA play rolls around. If they beat Akron, Georgia State and George Mason, those could go down as top-100 wins. That’s it. Perhaps they’ll get some credit if they do dominate the CAA, but that’s asking a lot.
But hey, why worry about Shaka’s squad in March, especially in a tournament setting? That’s so 2010.
- VCU can be really good when Burgess plays like a leader
- Shaka Smart knows this season’s a whole new game
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)