Dec 28, 2011, 4:41 PM EST
Guess who’s poised to dominate the CAA this season? Hint: It’s not George Mason, who’s regressed under Paul Hewitt.
Yep, it’s VCU.
Turns out Shaka Smart’s team – despite losing four starters from last year’s Final Four team – is still dangerous thanks to its aggressive defense, the development of point guard Darius Theus and the superb play of senior Brad Burgess. (Also doesn’t hurt that Smart’s a helluva good coach.)
The Rams are 9-3, but have won six straight, all by double digits. They had some early stumbles against Seton Hall and Georgia Tech, then dropped a close game at Alabama, but beyond those, they’ve emerged as the class of the league.
And it may not be close.
In fact, if not for the out-of-nowhere surprise season of Georgia State – holy Lefty Drisell, check out that record! – it’d probably be a runaway. Maybe George Mason could figure things out and defend its crown, but I’m doubtful. Not with that disjointed offense. (Poor Ryan Pearson.)
But when March rolls around and the Rams are prepping for the CAA tourney, will it be a lose-or-miss-the-Big-Dance event? It’s looking that way.
VCU’s 73rd in RPI and figures to drop when CAA play rolls around. If they beat Akron, Georgia State and George Mason, those could go down as top-100 wins. That’s it. Perhaps they’ll get some credit if they do dominate the CAA, but that’s asking a lot.
But hey, why worry about Shaka’s squad in March, especially in a tournament setting? That’s so 2010.
- VCU can be really good when Burgess plays like a leader
- Shaka Smart knows this season’s a whole new game
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Weekend Preview: Iowa-Iowa State highlights a rivalry-heavy weekend slate 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Teams 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who are the top five teams as of today? 1
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 1
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Why is Kentucky’s attendance going down? UK writer says Rupp is ‘stale’ (4)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Weekend Preview: Iowa-Iowa State highlights a rivalry-heavy weekend slate (3)
- Late Night Snacks: Rhode Island rivalry and VCU’s overtime (2)